Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 X '19 Rngr
Friend of mine has a '83 GMC Vandura. It's a 3/4 ton and has 8 lug axles on it. He needs to be able to put 5x5.5 wheels on it. The reason I say this is the wheels he needs to run only came in 15" rims with a 5x5.5.

So...I'm sure I could do wheel adapters, but 8 to 5 lug is going to mean 2 piece, any they will probably stick out to much.

My next question is how hard would it be to swap axles? I'm guessing it's a 14 bolt or something in the rear and I have no idea what the front end is like in the GM's. I'm guessing some kind of IFS.

any help would be great, as GM is not my specialty:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Friend of mine has a '83 GMC Vandura. It's a 3/4 ton and has 8 lug axles on it. He needs to be able to put 5x5.5 wheels on it. The reason I say this is the wheels he needs to run only came in 15" rims with a 5x5.5.

So...I'm sure I could do wheel adapters, but 8 to 5 lug is going to mean 2 piece, any they will probably stick out to much.

My next question is how hard would it be to swap axles? I'm guessing it's a 14 bolt or something in the rear and I have no idea what the front end is like in the GM's. I'm guessing some kind of IFS.

any help would be great, as GM is not my specialty:(

Don't do it! A 15" wheel w/ that small bolt pattern is not meant for a vehicle heavy enough to have come w/ an 8-lug 14 bolt. What I mean is that I'm sure those wheels won't be strong enough to support that vehicle. It probably weighs between 5,000-6,000LBS.

An '83 is probably a semi-floating 14-bolt rear (9.5" RG) (You need to remove the tire to remove the axle shaft.) You would need to have a set of custom axle shafts made, and even then you still have problems. I'm not even sure if an axle company would be willing to do it, since it creates a safety issue. I'm also not even sure if you can fit such a small bolt pattern on the face/flange of that axle. Also, the "stub" on the axle face, which locates the wheel, would need to be machined down, or the wheel center opened up; a bad idea. Additionally, the brake drums are probably waaayyy too big to fit inside a 15" wheel.

Now, if it has a full-floating 14-bolt(10.5" RG) (Big hub in the middle of the wheel, with a removable cover- you can remove the axle shaft w/o removing the wheel), then you've got a stronger, better axle, but you would need a custom hub, not an axle. Again, I'm not sure if it even possible; and it is certainly ill advised. Also, a full-float 14-bolt will have even bigger brakes.

Also, beyond the strength/load rating of the wheel, it's just a bad idea to put such a small wheel under a top-heavy, and just plain heavy vehicle like a G20 van. That vehicle is designed for 16" 8-lug wheels for a reason. (Ok, technically they came w/ 16.5" stock, but those are hard to find these days.) There are plenty of 16" heavy duty truck rim options these days. Everything from fairly lightweight "fancy" aluminum stuff, to super heavy-duty, bead lock equipped steel rims, and everything in between. FYI, the bolt pattern is 8x6.5

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/14b_bible/14b.pdf
Approx 8 pages down, is a side-by-side drawing of the semi and full float versions. (semi-float, which what you probably have, is the one labeled M1009)

This guy has a ton of great tech writeups. The one on brakes is just mind-blowing. Just be prepared for some hard-core, brain melting education! :)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/

The front of the van, assuming it is 2wd, is a simple UCA/LCA design w/ a coil spring in the middle. Basically the same design as many older rwd cars, just bigger.

This a Prop Truck. Made to look like the A-Team Van. However to get the correct wheels which only came in 15" ( actually I can get 16.5's but tires for the right look would be impossible) I need to go to 5x5.5.

mj2011-mater-a-team.jpg

So I thinking swap in a 10 bolt, and change the front end

That Tow Mater is awesome.

paint and everything is done. I'm think of picking up a half ton van for cheap, and swap the stuff over. Then just sell what ever you can't resale for scrap. I found one on CL for $500 bucks

the problem is tire selection for 16.5 rims. 33's on the a-team van aren't going to work. :(

You might be able to force a 16" tire on the 16.5 rim. Maybe you could shave the bead a little on the rim to help. Yes I KNOW how utterly dangerous and stupid that would be, but you said it's a prop truck. As long as it just sits there and looks pretty, it won't matter. Now, if it actually gets driven, other then on/off a trailer, then it might noot be a good idea.

Those 16.5 rims on craigslist are pretty cool. If I wasn't broke, and 16.5 tires were still popular (like a 9.50x16.5, not "mudders"), I'd by 'em for my '80 K20.

In any case, that 3/4 ton is never going ot have the "right" stance, as the A-Team van was a 1/2 ton. They just sit different. Also, I'm not sure you can just swap 1/2 ton control arms/spindles on a 3/4 ton chassis. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that the control arm mounts on the chassis are different.

Back