Need Help about oil for 99 explorer sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help about oil for 99 explorer sport

explorer99sport

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer Sport
I just bought a 99 explorer sport at 147 000 miles and i replaced the oil with valvoline high mileage and it has 151000 and needs an oil change i was wondering if i could use a full synthetic oil without having problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it is safe to switch to synthetic, and vise versa. Ive heard that you cannot go back to conventional from synthetic, but i don't see how that can be. Just don't mix conventional and synthetic unless you run a synthetic blend oil. I personally run conventional(mobil clean 5000) and change every 3000k miles, and the oil is hardly dirty.

That MaxLife is a good oil too- no shame in running that moving forward...

I just bought a 99 explorer sport at 147 000 miles and i replaced the oil with valvoline high mileage and it has 151000 and needs an oil change i was wondering if i could use a full synthetic oil without having problems?

I put royal purple in mine with no problems whatsoever, I noticed maybe it runs a bit smoother. It was very expensive so I went back to motorcraft semi synthetic, no issues with either. Maxlife is great stuff too. Ford does not suggest conventional oil in their engines, must be at least Motorcraft Semi-Synth...

I put royal purple in mine with no problems whatsoever, I noticed maybe it runs a bit smoother. It was very expensive so I went back to motorcraft semi synthetic, no issues with either. Maxlife is great stuff too. Ford does not suggest conventional oil in their engines, must be at least Motorcraft Semi-Synth...

On the current engines, yes, and yes, they back-rated the semi-syn 5W20 as an approved oil for use in the older engines (with a few exceptions, but running a conventional dino-oil of the appropriate viscosity for the climate is perfectly fine and will cause no damage.

Thank You All I appereciate the input. And also i know i have the 4.0 L SOHC V6 but how do i know if it is a 155 HP or a 205 Hp motor? its a 99 Sport

You may want to double-check that... I've never seen a SOHC motor with a manual trans in an Explorer. Rangers, yes, but never in an Explorer. (But there's a first time for everything... I've been wrong a time or two before... ;) )

thank you ill check on the SOHC i was told that so it may be false is there anyway to check like the vin number it doesnt say it on the motor if it is a DOHC

8th character of the VIN... IIRC, E is the SOHC and something else is the OHV, but don't quote me on that...

ok ill check thank you very much i appreciate it..

I think the 8th character will be an 'X' if it's an OHV....can dig out my manual and check if needed....

the 8th letter is an X so ill check google for the engine thank you

Try Mobil1 full synth extended protection and your good for 15k miles. It only costs $28 for a 5 qt jug at Walmart. Messing with Synth blends is a waste, they charge you more and a couple reports I read show the blend can be as low as 8% syth to 92% conventional.

I know my newer 500 takes 5-20, but I dont think I'll use anything besides 5-30 in my explorer, the viscosity is different at running temperature in a 30wt than a 20 wt, and it might cause an issue

i use royal purple also

Amsoil Synthetic is good too. In my Charger, I alternate between RP and AMsoil 5w20 synthetic. The Ford Explorer has conventional now but I will be running Mobil 1 Synthetic in it next oil change. Yo can't go wrong with any of these synthetics although, I thought my Dodge Charger ran a degree or two cooler with the Amsoil before I switched to a 180 degrees tstat

Back