Need Help!!! Another Body Swap set of questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help!!! Another Body Swap set of questions...

My 97 AWD Mounty body has rust everywhere. The rust has spread from the rockers back into the rear quarters and wheel wells. At the nearest junkyard there's a 97 Explorer with almost NO rust what-so-ever. So... on with the questions...

1. How much work is involved? I'd only imagine it being 8 body mounts, wiring, steering column, e-brake and some other minor things but I've personally never tried it before. Lifting the body isn't a problem as I know a friend of the family that owns a back-hoe and straps or another that owns a lift.

2. How would the wiring go? I think the gauges are basically the same but I can't imagine the wiring being THAT far off considering it's made by the same company. The only problem I see is the center console has some extra features my mounty doesn't.

3. Would the entire front end swap from Explorer to Mountaineer? My Mounty's front end is the only thing that isn't in that bad of shape and the Explorer's front end has some damage to it.

4. What title would I need to register with? The Mountaineer is signed over to me and my girlfriend but the Explorer is signed over to the previous owner to the junkyard.

Chances are that you will need to use the explorer title since it has the vin number. the front clip would probably swap.
Provided the trans are the same it should be a straight forward swap,lots of work but straight and simple. But If the ex is in such good shape why not just buy and repair it using parts from your truck. Instead of all the work involved in swapping bodies.

But If the ex is in such good shape why not just buy and repair it using parts from your truck. Instead of all the work involved in swapping bodies.

The EX needs a transfer case, front end needs replaced, hatch is gone and the title is signed over to a dealer that sent the vehicle to the junkyard. So with the title issue, I'd have to wait for him to register it, have him sign it over to me and then finally I'd get to register it.
^Speaking of that situation, anyone ever encounter something like that?

I appreciate your help though jhclance.

Title being signed over to a dealer would not be a problem they could just sell it to you. Title being signed over to a junkyard that could present you with some problems getting the title. Some junkyards are quick to surrender titles to the D.O.T./D.M.V. as scrapped and destroyed vehicles, once they do that no one can ever register that vehicle again. If junkyard still has the title they can sell vehicle with title and there should not be any problems with you getting it titled/registered in your name, would be the same as buying any other vehicle. Just ask junkyard about buying the whole vehicle and be sure it has a clear title not a salvage title. Salvege title means lots more work for you.

Back