NEED HELP ASAP!! Rotors Stuck, can't remove. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED HELP ASAP!! Rotors Stuck, can't remove.

USAFEXPLORER

Reaction score
City, State
Surprise, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
I am helping out a neighbor with a brake job. The emergency brake seems to be locked or frozen in the expanded position, now the rotors won't budge. I've tried liquid wrench, brake cleaner, hitting it with a hammer and nothing. Any other suggestions??

Ps: The E-Brake is not depressed, just in case someone was going to ask. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should be adjusters on the back, with access plugs on the back dust shield. Use a flashlight and screwdriver, back off the adjusters. There is a chance there is a lip on the inside of the rotor, which would keep it from sliding off.

You can also use a large 3 arm puller.

Regardless of how you get it off, be prepared to replace the parking brake shoes.

Sometimes the cable seizes with the emrgency brakes engaged. Usually you can tap back the arms wherein the cable moves, and get the rotor off.......

the best advice is in my opinion to take out the rotors, disassemble emergency brake pads, grease what should be greased (be carefull not to grease pads or interior rotor surfaces). then reassemble and regulate with mentioned screw. If you miss it the problem will come back sooner or later.

Back