Need help ASAP! Towing

Ryan1984

Reaction score
City, State
Blackstone, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Hey,

I'm going to be towing my Camaro using a 2002 XLT tomorrow, total trip is about 700 miles. Question is, I'm going to be using a tow dolly from u-haul. The camaro has a standard transmission. Do I still need to remove the driveshaft?

Any help is appreicated,
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

depends on which way you are hauling it.

if you are putting the front wheels on the dolly then yes i would remove the driveshaft.

or you could just put the back wheels on the dolly and lock the steering wheel.

I hope your picking up the tow dolly with something other than your Explorer, or else you will be denied. I would think being in nuetral would be enough, but I am not certain. I'm sure someone who has a definate answer will chime in.

I wouldn't recoment towing it backwards. The wheel lock isn't made for towing. When they tow withthe front wheels down they put an external lock on them.

I am towing with the rear wheels on the ground, and I'm picking it up with my father's truck.

Mbrooks420 said:
I wouldn't recoment towing it backwards. The wheel lock isn't made for towing. When they tow withthe front wheels down they put an external lock on them.

not always.

back when i worked at a Ford Dealer I had the privilege of towing a few vehicles and thats the way they did it....well on the trucks anyways.

but since your towing it with the rear wheels on the ground, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to disconnect the driveshaft, its just a few bolts anyways.

Should I remove it completely, or just disconnect it at the rear and tie it up?

i'd just pull the back off and tie it up like you said.

Did what you said, a lot easier then I thought it would be. I was paranoid about the whole thing, I just has visions of the car falling on top of me as soon as the driveshaft came off. I mean, jacking it up by the rear end is fine and all, but when the driveshafts disconnected, then having it in gear does nothing, and the e-brake on does the back wheels. I just got the whole car in the air and level and it turned out fine. Thanks for the help

Back