Need help! Explorer at dealership.... Radiator, Wheel hub, etc... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help! Explorer at dealership.... Radiator, Wheel hub, etc...

rmurray

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLS and '06 XLT
Brought my truck into the dealership today. Its a '06 XLT with about 60K miles. The radiator has been leaking for a while now, but its been running ok. Recently, the front end started humming, and its been getting worse, so I decided to take it in. So, I need a new radiator. No surprise there in light of the fact that everyone else has needed one too. However, the shock came when I was told that it would be $1300 to replace - includes new radiator, flush, serpentine belt (I guess it has coolant on it - which I'm probably not worried about), and another $25 for a new cap! I was expecting something around $500. So on to the front end noise. Apparently the driver-side bearings are bad, but I was told they don't replace just the bearings, they have to replace the whole hub assembly. That's going to cost me another $620. So, my total bill is pretty close to $2000! After I peeled myself up off the floor, I figured I'd post the details on here to see if anyone considers this a little excessive, or if this seems right? I am shocked that a 4-year old vehicle, that has been maintained very well, would need $2000 in repairs already. Any feedback is much appreciated. I am prepared to continue driving with the radiator leak, but the bearings are a concern. Should I take it somewhere else where they'll replace just the bearings? Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If they are only replacing bearings on 1 side that is very high. Here in PA my local mechanic did 1 side for 1/2 that on my wife's 03.

yes the bearings are part of the hub, that is a legit claim.

the radiator sounds high too, find a local garage you feel comfortable with. if it isnt in warranty I wouldnt go to the dealer. I bet you can get a quote somewhere else for 1000 or less for all repairs.

I'm in a similar boat. Driving 100k in my '07 (sales job), my driver's side bearing's also bad. Dealer item cheaper than after-market ('cuz it's so new?).
My mechanic, whom I trust, says 1.5 hrs. labor and $380 for the wheel hub assembly.

My question: What other years fit '07? When did they change? Will an '06 fit? '05? 04?

Please help - on a super-tight budget - laid off over a year here in Detroit.
Thank you!!

i have a question i just hope it doesnt happen to me as well one day, but do you guys baby your explorer or take it off-roading is that how your radiators leaks... i just dont get it how these explorer has radiator leakage problems, cause i baby my car and never took it off-roading yet well i did once but i am always cautious when i drive... if this happens to my car, i am not buying another ford again

they go with just regular driving. the radiators were junk.

the radiator is about a little under 600 from ford. just for parts.....

the radiator is about a little under 600 from ford. just for parts.....

and it pays somewhere between 2-3 hours....@$100 an hour

i would hate to tell you this, but there was finally a recall on the radiators. what good it though when it was issued in early 2010 hoping all the 06 were out of fac warranty.

Mine went out at 38xxx. i HAD ford cover it on their AWA (after warrant assistance) program.

you can try and bring it up to the dealer at your milage you may be able to get 40-50% covered. Contact ford direct about it. since it has been recalled (or tsb'd) they may be willing to help.

This is why i traded my exploder in ....... lived up to its name. worst vehicle i EVER owned.

Wow Allot of weak parts ! I had 240k on the 96" v8 Maybe 400.00 in replacement parts total. Always do everything yourself! tools, jack and jackstands will pay for themsels many o times.

Are the front wheel bearings not just pressed in? I just replaced one on the wifeys carolla (junk) it was 50 for the bearing and 55 to have it pressed in at a local shop. Anyway try this link:
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...content=MC&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

Wow Allot of weak parts ! I had 240k on the 96" v8 Maybe 400.00 in replacement parts total. Always do everything yourself! tools, jack and jackstands will pay for themsels many o times.

Are the front wheel bearings not just pressed in? I just replaced one on the wifeys carolla (junk) it was 50 for the bearing and 55 to have it pressed in at a local shop. Anyway try this link:
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...content=MC&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

rear are pressed in, front are bolt in hubs.

I'm in the same boat as well. I just bought an '07 in October and it now has 41k on it. Radiator starting dripping about a monthe ago and I believe the same hub assembly is whining now too!! And just last night, I started to hear a whine in the accessories!!! Probably an alternator or idler bearing. Just for giggles, I went to our local Ford and just asked what they would charge. They said it would be $700 for the radiator ($391 just for parts) and after that, I didn't even want to know how much they'd charge for the hub (I do know they want $363 just for the freaking hub!!)

I also asked about the warranty assistance, they pretty much acted like I was crazy and they've never heard of it. And they didn't know of a recall for '07 radiators. I cannot believe these vehicles are doing this! I've only had mine a couple months and it's alreay falling apart, I hope it doesn't get worse after this. I already pretty much know I'll never buy a Ford again though!!

my reservoir was leaking there would be a small puddle on the passenger side under the reservoir. there was a small pin hole from rubbing against the shroud. I used expoxy glue to fix, no more leaking,

sizeimage.php

I have good news for you, the wheel bearings are covered under your warranty.2007 models have a 5year 60,000 mile powertrain extended warranty.They are automatically fully transferable, wheel bearings are included. Make sure your coolant leak is located, don't assume the radiator is bad.The water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing as well as gaskets and seals on the engine are also covered. The radiator operates under pressure when warmed up,if it leaks you should hear a hiss, the reservoir tanks have been known to leak.I had my front bearings done yesterday, the noise started at 45,000 miles and i now have 52,000.It his hard to pinpoint wheel bearing problems on explorers. I did notice with the new ones,that when driving from a paved road to a concrete road the tire noise changes,the worn bearings just made a constant noise regardless of road surface. Most radiators can be repaired, check yellow pages. Read your warranty.

bearing are covered for 5/60k on 07 and up....

radiator is not.... but other coolant stuff is, thermostat, water pump, those pieces are among others..

the op has a 06 which bearings are not covered....

i would hate to tell you this, but there was finally a recall on the radiators. what good it though when it was issued in early 2010 hoping all the 06 were out of fac warranty.

Mine went out at 38xxx. i HAD ford cover it on their AWA (after warrant assistance) program.

you can try and bring it up to the dealer at your milage you may be able to get 40-50% covered. Contact ford direct about it. since it has been recalled (or tsb'd) they may be willing to help.

This is why i traded my exploder in ....... lived up to its name. worst vehicle i EVER owned.

do you know the recall number for that? I'm going to try to pull the same AWA strings if mine goes out (hasnt yet), only 39k on my truck though.

Thanks for the extended warranty info, I just assumed everything stopped at 36k. Had the local Ford replace the bearing, so all's good there. Although the radiator is leaking at the seal on the bottom (that's where they said it was leaking at least). Nobody repairs them around here. Hopefully the new aftermarket one from radiator.com will last at least a little longer! Havent' order it yet, but they are the cheapest so far. Will probably order this week.

Again, thanks for the warranty notice!!

Will check back if/when I have any more problems, love the site!

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!!

Laugh at your dealer with the 1300 dollar radiator price. My local dealer offered to do it fully installed for $700. I still declined since I did it myself in a few hours time.

I replaced my drivers side wheel bearing last year and 15000 miles later I need to do it again! Is there a better fix than Ford's replacing it with the same bad part?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5/50 warranty started on 7/14/06 and included 2006 models bought after that date. You should not have to "tell" the dealer. Your vin should tell them the story.

I had my radiator replaced back in 08 and after getting it back I found a broken hose clamp on the lower radiator hose at the block. Might've even been the original problem! Also, recalls do not require a warranty to be in effect.

TSBs on the other hand...

Back