• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Leak.

Greeder59

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer E. Bauer
And now mine is leaking.
2010 Eddie Bauer, 4.0 V6, 4WD, Auto.
Purchased in late March. Appears that the dealer replaced the radiator, Thermostat housing, and upper radiator hose. There has been a smell since day 1 and I need to top off the coolant every other week or so. No sign of a leak. Then, today I lean further into the engine compartment and see this (picture). Looks like I found my leak.
Question: Should I replace the radiator or try to fix it by crimping the tabs that hold the tank?
I'm leaning toward getting a good aftermarket radiator. Thoughts? Suggestions?

IMG_20190830_121331007.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks pretty bad, best thing is to replace the entire rad. with a new unit, they are not that expensive.
I have replaced the radiators in both my cars (2000 GTP and EXPLORER) purchased from R.A., both are TYC units, very nice and inexpensive.

You should get a radiator with a lifetime warranty.

:laugh:

That pretty much sums it up.

As an FYI - I purchased a Spectra radiator from Amazon when I replaced mine. It has a two year warranty but I soon learned that it didn't even have a two year warranty in reality.
You see, Spectra requires that you provide proof of professional installation before they will honor the warranty. If you DIY you are out of luck.

Same here tyc, My problem was the thermostat housing, replaced it with one pcs aluminum
housing and no more leaks.

And now mine is leaking.
2010 Eddie Bauer, 4.0 V6, 4WD, Auto.
Purchased in late March. Appears that the dealer replaced the radiator, Thermostat housing, and upper radiator hose. There has been a smell since day 1 and I need to top off the coolant every other week or so. No sign of a leak. Then, today I lean further into the engine compartment and see this (picture). Looks like I found my leak.
Question: Should I replace the radiator or try to fix it by crimping the tabs that hold the tank?
I'm leaning toward getting a good aftermarket radiator. Thoughts? Suggestions?

View attachment 173249
Welcome to Explorer ownership. Very common, the explorer cooling system runs at a higher pressure than most other vehicles. Buy replacement radiator from closest auto parts store with lifetime replacement. Then get used to tearing down the front side of the engine blindfolded in your sleep. Think I am on radiator number 3 on this Explorer. Have replaced the water pump, therm housing ( plastic ? dont understand ). Still great car. My 3rd.

Back