need help fast, transmission.

rlugo87

Reaction score
City, State
minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer limited
Hi guys,

so i took in my 02 limited 4.6 (228900mi) to get a transmission fluid and filter change because i had a howl when i first started it up in the morning. since the service the howl is completely gone and it still shifts great, it goes into gear immediately when selected (no pause or lag). the transmission shop claims the fluid was dark brown (verified) they also claimed to find a small amount of metal on the pan magnet. they say the clutch plates are worn out, they recommend replacing the transmission this week at a cost of $3000+. i declined the replacement trans as i really dont have that kind of money. i dont hear or feel any signs that the transmission might be failing. what is your guys opinion? thanks for any input.

Robert

after contacting the shop and asking agian, he claims the metal was not shavings that it was more granular and only a small amount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not too well-versed in the areas of transmissions, but my humble opinion is to keep those 3000 dollars in your pocket for now. If the transmission is eventually going to need to be rebuilt or similar, it won't change the price really between now and in a few weeks, a few months, next year.

So I would say keep on treating her well and drive her as long as she'll go. Start keeping a rainy-day fund for when she does decide it's time to be repaired. Then the cost won't cut too deep.

-Dubya

^^^What he said.^^^

thanks guys, well i put on about 60 in town miles today, no problems what so ever, so im confident nothing is wrong.

quick question,

how far should the rpms drop under normal acceleration going into 2nd gear, mine only drops about 500. i have read that 1st gear is over driven to produde a close ratio to 2nd and it may seem funky if your not used to it.

is the fluid still brown? open the inner bold and let it drip/drain out a tad into a glass.
if still brown / burnt then at least fully flush the fluid and change the filter (again).

quick question,

how far should the rpms drop under normal acceleration going into 2nd gear, mine only drops about 500. i have read that 1st gear is over driven to produde a close ratio to 2nd and it may seem funky if your not used to it.

Nothing at all is "overdriven", except your wife. The amount of tach-indicated rpms drop is dependent on throttle opening.

Run a set of tests, using MINIMUM throttle needed to get up to cruising speed. Remember what you see. This info is valuable in figuring out trans. problems down the road. imp

light in town driving produces a 400-600 rpm drop, a little heavier throttle on the highway produces a 600 to 800 drop, all other gears 2-3 3-4 4-5 produce 800-900 drop. i posted this question the the transmission section and was told what im experiencing is normal, no flares or sudden shifts.

light in town driving produces a 400-600 rpm drop, a little heavier throttle on the highway produces a 600 to 800 drop, all other gears 2-3 3-4 4-5 produce 800-900 drop. i posted this question the the transmission section and was told what im experiencing is normal, no flares or sudden shifts.

It sounds pretty normal, IMO. Main thing to look for, just as the shifts begin to occur, is a RISE in rpms on the tach., even just a little, as this would indicate pending trouble.

The tach. can be a very helpful tool. imp

i thought maybe it had done that once or twice but it could have just been me. but it dont flare or shift hard that i can 100% confirm as far as i have noticed the rpms only drop not raise. i am making a 100 round trip in the morning i will keep an eye on it.

so i went for a ride tonight. under light, normal and full throttle there is no flare or raise in rpms during shifts.

I say you're good to go then. Enjoy her until she decides otherwise. Report back in if you run into problems in the future. Feel free to resurrect this thread so others can follow along in time.

-Dubya

Back