Need help finding the correct interior color | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help finding the correct interior color

Post number 7 has been selected as best answered.

Addicted

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountainr SOHC 4.0 AWD
Hello, I have a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer V6 (a xerox copy of the ford explorer) which I would like to touch up the interior using an appropriate spray paint.

The door sticker which I included below shows the interior color code "FX" which I believe is called Prairie Tan.

door sticker 99 Mercury Mountaineer.jpg

When looking online for the right color paint I find both a "light prairie tan" and a "medium prairie tan".

link to Medium Prairie Tan

link to Light Prairie Tan

This color chart shows all three - light - medium and just prairie tan

I believe the color code on the sticker doesn't reference whether its light or medium thus leaving me unsure which one I need. Not sure why there's a light tone paint and then a medium tone paint of the prairie tan when the door sticker only notes "prairie tan".

Would anybody happen to know which one would or may be a better match? And or possibly suggest which spray paint to use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I always buy all of them and then do some test sprays to find the best match
The cool part is I end up with quite the spray paint collection

Hello, I have a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer V6 (a xerox copy of the ford explorer) which I would like to touch up the interior using an appropriate spray paint.

The door sticker which I included below shows the interior color code "FX" which I believe is called Prairie Tan.

View attachment 450379

When looking online for the right color paint I find both a "light prairie tan" and a "medium prairie tan".

link to Medium Prairie Tan

link to Light Prairie Tan

This color chart shows all three - light - medium and just prairie tan

I believe the color code on the sticker doesn't reference whether its light or medium thus leaving me unsure which one I need. Not sure why there's a light tone paint and then a medium tone paint of the prairie tan when the door sticker only notes "prairie tan".

Would anybody happen to know which one would or may be a better match? And or possibly suggest which spray paint to use?
When I went to my auto body paint shop. I was looking too match my exterior paint color using my paint code. They gave three color sample cards with holes in them and the color on them. I selector the color which I thought was the right color.
Years later, I did paint on a GM Car which was the same color as my ford.
Last year, I got paint mix for me and they did not ask which shade I want. They just mix it. and I also use spray can right paint code, but the color is close. So I use that GM color can and it match.

I always buy all of them and then do some test sprays to find the best match
The cool part is I end up with quite the spray paint collection

Yeah, I thought about just doing that also, but then I also thought how nice it would be to not have to spend on spray cans that I would likely never use due to not being an exact match. :banghead:

Chances are high that somebody must have went through this same dilemma already. Whether that certain somebody that may have encountered the same issue will find our post and provide a solution is unknown.

Nonetheless, I though I try and check if we can find out before stockpiling more spray cans.

Aerosol-Cans.jpg

When I went to my auto body paint shop. I was looking too match my exterior paint color using my paint code.

I may just have to purchase several cans and test them myself unless another user that went through this reads our post and chimes in. Although I was hoping to avoid doing that.

Just buy the two colors and do some test sprays

The color you spray over can affect the final color. Often we are changing Colors (like painting a red dash tan) and the final color will vary greatly compared to a part that was say already tan and just getting touched up

You could take a piece of your interior to the hardware store / paint store and pick the color in person

You can also have your exact color scanned and a spray can prepared for you, most auto body paint shops can do this

According to the site below you have...

F — leather sport bucket seats (Explorer/Mountaineer)
X — Medium Prairie Tan (F-150, F-250, Explorer/Mountaineer, Ranger)

Interior Trim​

A — Hampton vinybucket seats — Econoline
E — Camden cloth captain chairs — Econoline
C — Stockton vinybucket seats — Econoline
F — Kirk cloth captain chairs — Econoline
A — vinyfulbench seat (split back), vinyfulbench (Mexico) — F-150, F-250
C — polyknit fulbench seat (split back), polyknit fulbench (Mexico) — F-150, F-250
F — cloth captains chairs with console — F-150, F-250
H — leather captains chairs with console — F-150, F-250
M — cloth 40/60 bench seat — F-150, F-250
E — leather 40/60 bench seat — F-150, F-250
A — vinybucket seats (Explorer)
J — cloth premium bucket seats (Explorer/Mountaineer)
Z — cloth sport bucket seats (Explorer/Mountaineer)
G — cloth sport bucket seats — less power (Explorer)
M — cloth split bench seat (Explorer)
1 — limited leather sport bucket seats (Explorer)
H — simulated split vinybench seat (Ranger)
E — Cirrus cloth 60/40 split bench seat (Ranger)
G — Triad luxury sport bucket seats (Ranger)

Interior Color Codes​

2 — Medium Graphite (Econoline, F-150, F-250, Explorer/Mountaineer, Ranger)
S — Willow Green (F-150, F-250, Explorer/Mountaineer, Ranger)
D — Denim Blue (Econoline)
P — Mocha (Econoline)
N — Cordovan (F-150, F-250)
E — Dark Denim Blue (Explorer/Mountaineer, Ranger)

You can also have your exact color scanned and a spray can prepared for you, most auto body paint shops can do this

The thought never crossed my mind. Never knew you can have a color scanned and then made to match for vehicles. Very nice. I have seen this sort of stuff at home depot. I can bring them a chip of any color and they'll match it.

According to the site below you have...

Wow, that's what I was looking to find. Some certainty on the colors. Didn't realize the F stood for the type of seats.

Very nice. Thank you so much for helping to decipher the codes. :bow:

Will pick up a can of the Medium Prairie Tan and go with that. Sure do appreciate you finding that info.

I was looking for an aftermarket console lid cover for my newly acquired 96… maybe this might help 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_0165.jpeg

I was looking for an aftermarket console lid cover for my newly acquired 96… maybe this might help 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks for posting the photos. I'm also in need of a console lid replacement. Mines looks like some K9 chewed it all up. Leather cover is all ripped up and foam is missing.

I found doorman actually sells aftermarket ones.

Console Lid - Tan

Looks like they also have a grey color tone.

Console Lid - Charcoal

Not sure how much of an identical match this would be but I was considering this one for my replacment.

It’s an easy DIY project to recover, if your console plastic is in good shape. I did my Willow Green cover, and it was a pretty close match. Some kits on eBay include replacement foam.

My recovered one: It just followed me home (version 2)!

At the junk yard I will cut out the backside of factory seats..

Find some Leather /fabric seats same color as your truck
Choose some bad seats, don’t cut up a good one! With a razor cut out the entire back side above the seat pocket. Perfect amount of factory material to Re cover your console lid. Includes backing foam

Thanks for posting the photos. I'm also in need of a console lid replacement. Mines looks like some K9 chewed it all up. Leather cover is all ripped up and foam is missing.

I found doorman actually sells aftermarket ones.

Console Lid - Tan

Looks like they also have a grey color tone.

Console Lid - Charcoal

Not sure how much of an identical match this would be but I was considering this one for my replacment.
I found replacement material at Joann fabric. Purchase a yard. Recover my. The lid is plastic. Also factory uses staples. You can buy the staple gun and staple ( proper length) at homedepot.
EB4X purchase a replacement kit on Ebay.

Back