Need Help- Noise coming from drivers side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help- Noise coming from drivers side

psirishman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
Ok guys here's a question for you recently I changed out my upper and lower control arms on the driver and passenger side also new shocks and sway bar link on the driver side I noticed a rubbing noise when I slow down or when I turn left. Now the noise is not a grinding noise and it is kind of sqeaky now from reading previous threads I thought it could have been loose caliper bolts but checked today all bolts nice and tight next I checked how the wheel would be with the lug nuts on if there was any movement thinking that it might be the wheel bearing on that side again, nice and tight no movement. Now this noise does not occur when I apply the brakes only when I decrease speed or turn left. This noise was not there before we changed the control arms but it is here now if anybody has any ideas before I buy a new hub assembly it would be greatly appreciated the only things that I didn't change was the brake pads, they look good, tie rod ends, they were nice and tight and the cv joints which looked to be in good shape. The sound is definately coming from the driver side the truck is a 98 explorer 4wd any help would be appreciated thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

May sound crazy, but check the splash shield and make sure it is in place and tight. I had a "noise" on the passenger side on tight right turns and it turned out the splash shield was just loose enough to rub the inside of the tire on tight right turns.

I thought it might have been that but no slice marks in the tire and no markings on the shield that would show wear

The dust shield on the brake rotor, it's covers the inside of the rotor.

Well here's what I am going to do tomorrow I will be replacing the front brakes along with new rotors if this doesn't eliminate the noise then it has to be the driver dise wheel bearing then. I will replace the hub assembly wish me luck

Well replaced the rotors and the brakes the noise is gone woo hoo when we replaced the lower control arm on the driver side wew bent the rotor so for everyone out there if you hear a rubbing noise and have changed everything out it might be a bent rotor

Back