• Register Today It's free!

Sound from driver's side of motor

davemengel

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
So I replaced the driver's side hydraulic tensioner on my '98 yesterday. After putting it back together I now have a clicking noise coming from that side of the motor. I can't peg down the exact source of the noise but it is a usually a series of inconsistent clicks. when it click it doesn't misfire. I can't even hear it when standing on the passenger side. If anybody has any ideas on where I can start I would appreciate it.

My experience

Clicking, following no pattern on my OHV 6 resulted in replacing some push rods and rockers. If you have an OHV engine rather than a SOHC engine, they have a tendency to lack upper end oil when the cam bearings wear a little, resulting in excessive wear on the push rods and rockers. Specifically number 5 cylinder.

This is a possibility.......not a conclusion.

The sound is non metallic. It honestly sounds like the ball in the pcv valve jumping in its housing. I think its a vacuum problem. I'm almost positive it came about when reinstalling the upper intake manifold. I don't have an inch/pound torque wrench so I had to convert the values for my foot/pound wrench. I think maybe take the upper off and reinstall.

Back