Need Help planning complete Engine teardown | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help planning complete Engine teardown

Buffalosports

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport - 4WD
Ok, late this summer or sometime next summer, I would like to rebuild my 98 SOHC. I plan on doing this myself and I would like to see what kind of price I am looking at (obvisouly a big one). At first, I was going to buy a kit but then I remembered my friend's uncle owns a repair shop and he gets the parts for retail value. Plus I have more control on the quality and what not, on what I am buying. Plus I would like to add some horsepower to my motor. Here is the beginning of my list. Feel free to change, add or subtract, or throw in comments. Also let me know of parts that I can upgrade to increase horsepower. I am fairly new to this and I KNOW I am missing things and maybe overlapping certain things. If you know a good site with complete parts list for a tear down, let me know. Thanks for any comments.

Quanity: Part:
6 Pistons
1 Piston Ring Set (High Performance)
1 Oil Pump (normal Performance)
1 Engine Timing cover gasket set
1 Rear Main Seal
1 Engine Valve Cover gasket Set
1 Oil Pan Gasket Set
1 intake manifold gasket set
1 header manifold gasket set
1 Exhaust Manifold gasket set
1 Rocker Arm Kit
? Motor Mount(s)
1 Camshaft Bearing set
1 Intake Manifold (?)
1 Intake maifold spacer
1 Valve Seal Set
1 Crankshaft Bearing Kit

I have heard that headers really do not sound that great on V6 engines. Any one know how true this is? Not sure if I want to put a performance intake, leave the OEM one, or buy headers,to put on the engine. Also, should I change the engine mounts? The stock ones are not broken.
Is there a roller rocker kit available for this engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

List looks good -- dont forge to take pics of the rebuild! Plenty of people on the forum interested (like myself)!

While I am doing this much work, anything I can do to add horsepower?

Well, you can put new headers, intake & technically not the engine, but a catback system. Turbokit:rolleyes:

Not sure if the SOHC engine has any of this (?). Did not add these to my list, Should I?

-Thrust Washers
-Main Bearings
-Rod Bearings
-balance shaft bearings
- Vacuum Pump

Which is the gasket that goes that is natorously goes bad in these engines? It is the one that causes the slightly rough idle? It is at the bottom of the engine. I have seen people taking about on here before.

Timing chains!

Jackshaft kit (chain, sprockets, tensioner, guide)
front cassette kit (chain, sprockets, guide)
rear cassette kit (chain, sprockets, guide)
balancer kit (chain, sprockets, tensioner, guide)

plus the external tensioners for the front and rear cassettes (these look like large, black bolts screwed into the head - front tensioner kit includes the tensioner, intake manifold o-rings an anti-drainback plastic insert and screw in plug)

To assmeble this part of the engine you need a special set of alignment tools, as none of these sprockets have any keys or timing marks to align them, they are locked in place by bolt tension only, so the tools are needed to set the timing hten it gets locked down by tightening it all up. You can buy these tools online them sell them on eBay when you are done.

bump

You ever start this? I'm quite interested in this project, as I have thought about rebuilding my engine as well.

Yea, and if you did, I need your old jackshaft tensioner. Don't care if its all busted up, just need all the pieces parts (long story).

I have heard that headers really do not sound that great on V6 engines. Any one know how true this is? Not sure if I want to put a performance intake, leave the OEM one, or buy headers,to put on the engine. Also, should I change the engine mounts? The stock ones are not broken.
Is there a roller rocker kit available for this engine?

dont forget to factor in money for machining of the engine. that stuff gets pretty expensive quickly!

check out http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/ . they're oriented at only 6cylinder engines and theyve got a little subheader all about the 4.0L SOHC.

it seems that flattop pistons raise the CR to 10.0:1 and that would obviously give you a horsepower boost. i'd be weary of running 87 in your engine with that CR though... either knock the timing back or see if the ECU is able to compensate, or both.

put some bigger cams in it if you can. a regrind is usually $150 (each) as far as i know.

let me know how the build goes! i'd love to see the results.

Just Started on My Project

I am doing the same project and am in my third week of teardown. I have started purchasing parts from autopartsgiant.com (seems to be the best selection and pricing). I didn't want to use cheaply made parts and I am not going to try and not do any performance mods either. Check out my photo album

1991 Explorer Rebuild

Back