Engine Mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Mods

01mercurymountai

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 mercury mountaineer
:usa: I have a 2001 mercury mountaineer 5.0 v8 with mac cold air intake and a set of torque monster header and a flowmaster 40 series exhaust i plan on re doing the engine i have been looking for a performance intake manifold i think i found one holley has a intake manifold part#30072S but iam not so sure it fits on truck but with all the mods i want to do it's going to cost me around 5,000 this is just the engine stuff i plan on working on the suspension system to. so if anybody know want would be best to rebuild my current engine or put a brand new one also the 5.0 v8 in the mountaineer are 302 small blocks right and does any body sell throttle body for my truck

Thankyou,Chris:mad: :confused: :cool:

yes the 5 litre in your truck is a small block ford engine the best bet is to replace the whole thing with a crate engine like say maybe perhaps a 347 or 331 long block with the heads and everything all ready to go then you just park it next to your engine and swap all the accessories and sensors and plumbing and intakes over to your engine and then install the whole deal back in your truck using your new holley intake manifold and throttle body of course you will want to fix your suspension alot because you said you wanted to and then you will be closer to spending 10 thousand dollars rather then your original 5 thousand dollars but its all good I say go ahead and get the intake yes its a small block Ford the Gt-40p 5.0l with dis ignition and built in auto trans controls to be exact I would also plan to change out the transmission filter and fluid when you put your engine back in the truck just because the timing would be great an oil filter re location is also a good idea on these trucks as the factory water to oil cooler adapter is prone to leaks and the negative battery cable can cause problems so replace that too

your welcome Jamie

and I have a bbk throttle body it whistles and sounds like a turbo and everybody likes the sound but sometimes it is anoying i have gotten used to it 75mm is the size I got but really I would try to build a torquey 5800-6000 rpm engine for an explorer so the stock manifold will probably give better torque.

Back