Need Help....Rear Driverside Window Stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help....Rear Driverside Window Stuck

ocsewerdrain

Reaction score
City, State
O.C. Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4X4 V8
in the up position. I pulled the door panel. I can hear a slight movement from the mechanism, but it won't budge beyond that. Tried using my brute strength to get it to move but still nothing. Is there some kind theft prevention latch that prevents it from being pried downward?

I've had this happen before with another car. Because it wouldn't get driven for weeks at a time, the window would get sort of frozen-like up in the glass channel. The difference this time is the motor/regulator won't move.

Any ideas? I don't want to break something.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This happens on mine periodically too. It's the same window. I think it's from non-use. I rarely roll that window down, but once in a while I like to roll down all the windows and open the sunroof, and that's when I discover that my LR window won't move.

I've just pressed the down button and hit it with my hand a few times right about where the motor is located, and it started to work again. If I use it about once a week (when I remember), it works fine.

Ford issued a TSB about this, but I can't remember exactly what their fix was.

Same with me on my 04.
Drivers side rear door window.

neither the drivers master switch or its own door switch will operate the window.

It works when I least expect it, like washing/cleaning the truck.
But when I'm out driving and want to put down the window for my little girl in the back seat to see something, it doesn't work.

Sometimes if I rock the switch a few times it will work. I worry one of these days it will decide not to work when its down and then I'll be "shagged".

I was going to replace the master switch as a first step in fixing it unless there are any other ideas cause the cheapest on ebay is $50

I doubt it's the switch(es). More likely is the window motor is stuck, or the glass is stuck in the channel. Like I mentioned, a couple raps on the inner panel while pushing the switch has "fixed" mine every time. I try to remember to exercise it about once a week or so, and since doing that it hasn't had a problem.

I pulled the door panel and speaker, gave a couple light taps with a hammer on the motor. No problemo. :thumbsup:

Thanks

I've had the same problem on and off with my '03 for the last five years. I think it sticks at the stop in the channel.

my 05 does it with the pass side rear. I even tested it and it acted like the motor was bad. Then a buddy got in there in the back, and bzzzz there it went. Now I think that door is where my new water leak is coming from....

-Shawn

I've had the same problem on and off with my '03 for the last five years. I think it sticks at the stop in the channel.
That was in a nutshell the TSB...They recommended applying a little bit of clear silicone grease on the top edge of the glass to prevent it. Evidently, with limited use, the glass sticks to the rubber gasket with enough tenacity to prevent it being rolled down.

I wasnt so lucky.. kinda...

Ford called, its the power window motor.
Should be covered by my extended warranty.

Same problem here on my 02 XLT. I'll try everything mentioned above.
It seems like a ton of problems at once. Timing chain rattle, front main swtich assy (lock switch broke), bezel (broke it replacing the assy), rear window switch, rear end whine...

meh, still cheaper than a new car payment.

I wasn't so lucky.. kinda...

Ford called, its the power window motor.
Should be covered by my extended warranty.

2 weeks and mine is still working after all Ford did was tap on the door panel.
To them, this proves its the power window motor, not the switch.
Because it [still] works now, my extended warranty wont cover it until it breaks again. :mad:

Same problem here on my 02 XLT. I'll try everything mentioned above.
It seems like a ton of problems at once. Timing chain rattle, front main swtich assy (lock switch broke), bezel (broke it replacing the assy), rear window switch, rear end whine...

meh, still cheaper than a new car payment.

You should look into that rear end whine or get it fixed. You might be wishing for a new car payment if that goes out on ya.

On the window deal, I would tap (very firmly) around the area of the speaker--the lower area before you go to the trouble of puling the panel. I'm sure if I would have banged on it first while depressing the switch, it woulda worked.

Good luck

I already took the panel off and tapped on the motor itself. Worked like a charm.

I had to replace with regulator/motor in the front drivers door not too long ago b/c the clip that holds the cable in place broke and I couldn't find a replacement. I sure wish I thought of swapping out and keeping the original motor as the motor that came with the new one is crap. Its a lot slower than the original. The old motor got returned as a core. Bummer.

I have that problem with my 04. first time it was replaced under warranty, second time I called my buddy tht works at word, he told me to slam the door a couple of times and it will work fine.. then told me to dry lube the channel,,,,,,

now i just remember to roll it up and down at least once a week...

Back