NEED HELP WIRING for 2001 5.0 V8 AWD XLT!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED HELP WIRING for 2001 5.0 V8 AWD XLT!!!

I have a 2001 Explorer V8 AWD and i need to tow about 4k filled trailer. I have been trying to find a trailer wiring kit or harness. I have a class II hitch but not wired. I was told by a friend that there should be a harness in the jack compartment but do not really know what im looking for. Im new to towing, so if anyone has any ideas where i can locate the harness already on the vehicle, (if there is one) or on what i need to get to wire it you would be doing a great service for this newbie. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to yellowbook.com and search for "towing equipment" in your city. A list of places should show up. They should be able to sell you what you need.

I agree I should be able to find a place her in town that I can buy something but the only place I've been able to find is uhaul. No one locally sells a harness that I can install myself. Everyone here tells me that they won't sell a harness because there are too many problems with explorer transmissions going out when towing too much. Uhaul said they can hardwire it but its gonna cost an arm and a leg.

I'm trying to find out two things hopefully here, one is there a harness already on my vehicle, (where and what I should look for), and 2nd what I should try and find online so I may install myself. I need a 4 flat hook-up. Again 1 thousand thanks to anyone that can provide any info on this matter. :)

If your trailer hitch was installed at the factory, you already have the trailer pigtail on your truck. If it is not readily visible it may be tucked up behind the tail light on the drivers side (I'm pretty sure thats the proper side). Check there first.
I will take a look under there today and if nobody else has posted this information for you before I return, I will let you know.

If your trailer hitch was installed at the factory, you already have the trailer pigtail on your truck. If it is not readily visible it may be tucked up behind the tail light on the drivers side (I'm pretty sure thats the proper side). Check there first.
I will take a look under there today and if nobody else has posted this information for you before I return, I will let you know.

I agree with this. I bought a pig tail from a local Mom and Pop shop here in my town. They don't care about stupid stuff like Uhaul does. They just like to make money! I really despise Uhaul, they think that they need to decide what you can and can't tow with. Mine had the factory installed pig tail on it. Its a white or gray plastic piece that is about an 1" or 2" long and round. Might have a plug in it. Good luck.

Thank you guys for the info. I don't think the hitch was installed at the factory, the reason why I say that is that its a straight bar across the rear that mounts to the frame and if the spare tire is fully inflated it will not fit under the car. I did however find two plugs under each taillight today. Both with red nipple like dust covers on them. Now I found a place in town that had a t connector, it has a gray round two way plug on one side of the wires with one side male and othe female, and at the other end of the wires it has a 4 flat. I plugged it in to the drivers side, no lights. Tried passenger side. No lights. Do I need to find somthing that I connect bothe sides or am I just totally wrong.
Thanks again

Thank you guys for the info. I don't think the hitch was installed at the factory, the reason why I say that is that its a straight bar across the rear that mounts to the frame and if the spare tire is fully inflated it will not fit under the car. I did however find two plugs under each taillight today. Both with red nipple like dust covers on them. Now I found a place in town that had a t connector, it has a gray round two way plug on one side of the wires with one side male and othe female, and at the other end of the wires it has a 4 flat. I plugged it in to the drivers side, no lights. Tried passenger side. No lights. Do I need to find somthing that I connect bothe sides or am I just totally wrong.
Thanks again

********sorry don't know how this posted twice. Oops.

Back