• Register Today It's free!

Need help with 07 4.0

Toyboy883

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer XLT
I have an 07 XLT with a 4.0. I recently noticed a puddle on the ground under the front of the truck and noticed a coolant smell. I notice a small amount of coolant around the thermostat housing but not enough to where it would make a puddle. I'm not sure the puddle was coolant so I placed a piece of cardboard on the ground and ran the truck for about 15 minutes. Nothing on cardboard. Started it this morning in 20 degree weather and warmed it up for about 15 minutes and noticed it dropping water or coolant on the cardboard. The defroster running and in normal operating temp. Drove to work and ran the truck in the parking lot for about 15 minutes. Did not see anything dripping but still the small amount around housing.

Does the heater/defroster drip or am I leaking coolant. I flushed and filled radiator about a month ago and filled it with zerex g05. No problems but noticed the overfill tank has dropped a little from the hot mark.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. I sure pray it's nothing serious. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you are leaking from the heater takeoff lines. I would start the vehicle and turn the heater on full blast and then take a look to see where it is coming from. It could just be that the hoses are not fully seated on the housing.

Thank you. I will check that.

On those the thermostat housing cracks and pools up in the engine valley I have seen them look moist only but valley is full or down the front of the engine it flows and collects on the front of the pan.

Started it this morning in 20 degree weather and warmed it up for about 15 minutes and noticed it dropping water or coolant on the cardboard. The defroster running and in normal operating temp. Drove to work and ran the truck in the parking lot for about 15 minutes. Did not see anything dripping but still the small amount around housing.

I had the exact same problem. There are two separate issues....

1. Hoses will constrict in cold weather and when you initially start the car, a little seeps out until the hoses are hot and expand; this allows for the pressure that keeps them "not leaking". Try checking your hose clamps and make sure they are snug. Also, try Gates Power Grip Clamps.... they work great for me.

2. The T-Stat housing is crap, no matter how you look at it. It is leaking and that is a VERY common problem with this series of Explorers. Consider replacing the housing, rings, gasket and thermostat, and hope for the best. Keep the area of the T-stat housing clean so you can visually check it from time to time. Until there is an aftermarket metal/aluminum t-stat housing, they will continue to crack and leak.

Until there is an aftermarket metal/aluminum t-stat housing

There is actually an aftermarket metal housing. The guy making them is selling through Amazon for now, but plans to have his own website up and running soon. I bought one and they are quality. You DO need some level of knowledge about the part though. There is a version that contains a single temp sensor and one that has two sensors.

Until there is an aftermarket metal/aluminum t-stat housing

There is actually an aftermarket metal housing. The guy making them is selling through Amazon for now, but plans to have his own website up and running soon. I bought one and they are quality. You DO need some level of knowledge about the part though. There is a version that contains a single temp sensor and one that has two sensors.

What is this t-stat you speak of ? ........link please

Back