• Register Today It's free!

need help with a leak

John Hickey

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer xlt 5.0v8
so i got my truck running today and on the road i pulled over and there is a leak by the oil pan. the plug itself is brand new and is tight as hell. what else could it be this is my transportation to work everyday so i need to figure it out..

does anyone have any sugestions on what it could be

i have a 1993 ford ranger 2.3l 2wd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could it be the oil pan gasket cause it is coming right near the oil pan and it is all over the place like it is being sprayed

make sure your oil filter is not loose

k i will do but what are the odds of the oil pan gasket going bad and is that hard to get to

oil pan gasket could be leaking or the front seal? i'm not up on my new vehicles but i would check anything that is an easy fix first. oil pan gaskets are not easy fixes on anything. check for loose oil pan bolts, timing cover, rear seal.

does it leak oil when not driven? if you clean the oil from the pan and more oil shows up after not driving? try cleaning everything and make sure the plug is not leaking, it could be tight but not seating properly. if it is not the plug, then you should be able to follow the leak to the point of origin if everything has been cleaned

good luck

Back