• Register Today It's free!

Need help with Codes

Future JP

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 2WD EB
Lurking online for assistance with codes and found this forum. Looks like you guys are a great community (look forward to being more active).

Background: I have a 93 Ford Explorer 2WD V6 Eddie Bauer ~77k miles. Only had it about 5 months, so don't know too much about the history. There were no check engine lights on before the failure.

I was pulling into my parking spot at work and the truck rumbled and then shut off. I cruised into a parking spot and there it has sat. If I try to start it up, it rumbles rough and sounds like it is going to shut off, so I haven't tried running the KOEO codes yet...(worried about doing more damage)

I ran the KOEO codes from the dashboard and got a little confused on the start:

To start, the light flashes 1,...1,..1,6,...1,...2,..2,...1,...1,...2,...
6?
122?
112?

Then

I know what the haynes manual says for all of these, but I am hoping that, with all of the codes, there is a key part that I can test that would cause all of these issues.

Thanks! (and let me know what other info you need.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see a KOEO 116 and a 112, which are pretty common "false" codes -- especially when the engine won't start or barely runs. The PCM expects to see these sensors warmed up to normal operating temperatures during the KOEO test, and it would seem likely that you performed the test on a cold engine. I would probably ignore these until you get the engine to run somewhat normally, or until something else suggests that they need to be looked at closer.

The one code that really stands out to me is the CM 513. My code list suggests that this is caused by some failure inside the PCM, which means you might need a new computer. Of course, all the other codes could be caused by whatever the internal failure is, so it would seem to me that you want to focus on the PCM.

Thank you! That is really helpful. I did run the codes cold.

I was confused by the lack of a 1 1 1 before the codes. The third 1 and the 6 have no delay between them, so I was having a hard time distinguishing if they were separate or a 7. If anyone can double check my code reads, here is a video:

Thanks again!

Can someone take a look at that video and confirm the codes for me? I am about to buy the PCM (today) and I don't want to replace something that isn't broken. Thanks!

That was a long list of codes. Here are the codes I counted out (this should be educational for anyone who wants to practice reading codes):

1) Key appears to turn on about 0:10, fast codes "flash" at 0:15
2) starting at 0:20 KOEO 117, 122, 112, 513, 565, 556, 629, 566 (if you have a piece of paper you can try to write them down)
3) KOEO codes repeat. if you wrote them down, you have a chance to see if you got them right.
4) separator pulse is at 4:16
5) CM 111 and then 111 repeats.

I saw the KOEO 513 code in there, so I would start by replacing the PCM.

THANK YOU!! I found a place that has one and will swing by in the morning. I will keep everyone updated. Thanks again!!

Buddy,...can't thank you enough. Went and picked up a PCM from the salvage yard-$40. Plugged it in and all is good in the world. Drove it for the last hour and no problems, no codes. Thanks again!!

Back