Need Help With Installing Aftermarket Head Unit (Sony) in '91 XLT w/JBL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Help With Installing Aftermarket Head Unit (Sony) in '91 XLT w/JBL

Thallarsen

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 5.0 Limited AWD
My fact. head unit finally gave up, so I'm thinking about installing a Sony CDX-5270; 30w x 4; E chassis. My questions are:
What do I need to do to make this unit fit in my dash? Crutchfield sells a 'mounting kit' for $15. Is that worth it, or is it just a cosmetic piece of plastic?
Since I have the premium JBL system with the stock sub in the back & upgraded Polks in each door, I'm wondering whether I'd get better sound by hooking up the Sony unit to run off of its power, or if I'd get better sound by getting an interface that uses the stock amps & their power.
How much power did the stock JBL amp put out per channel?
Ideally, I'd like to run the 4 door speakers off of the Sony head unit, and somehow signal the sub amp to come on, and run it off it's amp.
Can this be done?
What do I need to do the job?

Thanks,
J.P.
Please email me if you can help:
thallarsen@aol.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I've picked up a mounting kit from both best buy, crutchfield, and circuit city. CF and BB are alright, however, I really liked CC. Theirs held in my deck a lot better. I got a major skip problem which I think is deck related, and the CC mounting bracket seemed to take away 85% of the skips.

You WILL NOT need the plastic thing, I dont even know how you would use one. The new deck is about the same size as the stock one, right? If it is, then the new one will slide right in.
If you have upgraded your speakers, I would get an amp bypass kit from one of the mentioned sources, and bypass that factory amp. It is rated at 60 watts X 4, which is 15 watts per channel, and I would bet that that is max power. So your new deck should put out more power.

Dead Link Removed

I think my deck is at the bottom, i never bought a kit from anywhere, I didnt even buy a wiribng harness ( i didnt know about them) THe deck i got just fits in there with no plastic brackets, i also have that jbl sound system. I just left the beauty sleve out and installed the metal surround to the dash it self and used the plastic rail thibny on the stock deck to align it all up.

To interface your new head unit with the JBL amps, you will need a Ford/JBL (not a Ford Premium Audio) adapter. It's made by Peripheral and can be bought at Best Buy and CC (Best Buy for sure - that's where I got mine). It'll run you around $50 I think. I used mine for about a year with my Denon CD player before I completely re-did the system. I think the JBL 4-ch amp is around 15 watts per channel (rated at something like 10% THD too :rolleyes: ).

Mike

Whatys the difference between the jbl and the premium audio system? I wa sunder the impression they were the same? Mine came with premium audio and has all the jbl component speakers installed with the ****ty amp and everything.

Buy the amp bypass harnss and run everything of the HU

Back