• Register Today It's free!

Need help with my 94 x

msilver

Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph Il. Carbondale Il.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I have a 94 xlt 4 door 4x4. When I bought it with a inch and a half lift, and 32 inch wild country all terrains. It is my daily driver, so far it has never been rock crawing... yet. Most likely it won't see many trails. It does see mud all the time. The truck feels very under powered. The drivetrain is stock (4.0, A4LD, BW1354, 8.8, D35 3.73/LSD). I am looking to upgrade. Here are some ideas i want feed back on.

My first was a 5.0, I really have been doing my homework on this, it seem like it would be very expensive, so it is probaly out of the question.

What I am leaning towards now is working on my axles. I want a a Bigger axle ratio, and lockers. for the ring and pinion I was thinking of either a 4.10, or a 4.56, I think a 4.88 is too much for the street. What do you guy suggest? I have 32's now, but i will probably have 33's in the future. Next questions is lockers? ARB air lockers seem pretty expensive so they might be out of the question. The cheapest one I have found is "powertrax lock-right" I don't really know anything about them, are they worth it? If those are junk then I am think detroit lockers. I know they have a good reputation? Anyone use any of these? Should i save up and get the ARB's?

Next option is a SAS. i don't rock craw it seems like everyone that does a SAS rock craws. I Dont want to lift it much more because its a daily driver. all the SAS I see have at least a 4-6 inch lift. Would i benefit from a SAS? is my Dana 35 good enogh for what i do, it doesn't seem to be holding my back.

Remember this is my Daily Driver and i would like to keep some kind of fuel economy. Idont get great milage already, 14 at best. I am a college kid so money is an issue for me, so please don't suggest something that will cost me3 grand because i don't have that money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go with 4.56, that will spin you a little faster then stock, but it will give you much better grunt and leave you room to grow to 33's or even 34's.
Aussie lockers are even cheaper then lockrights, and they are made to better standards. If you put one in the front you'll never know it's there on the street, because you'd be in 2wd. If you put one in the rear the street manners will change. You will have to slightly alter your driving style (no accelerating and turning sharp corners at the same time). Some people don't mind it, they say it's livable for a DD, some people can't stand it for a DD.

Edit: the reason people go with at least 6" of lift on SAS's is because you need to go that high to keep the pig from hitting the engine while still having some compression.

Thanks I am definatly going to do some homework on aussie lockers. I have driven vehicles with lockers before and i know the feeling, i kinda like it, but thanks for the advise i definatly appreciate it.

anyone else have any oppinions or suggestions

I run 4.88s with 33s on the street and my truck is a blast to drive. It is fine on the highway also. If you are going to run 33s, then the d35 will be just fine for you. I'd say if you want to run 33s, then grab a 2" body lift and throw that on and trim the fenders if you need to. If you want to swing a little more cash, you can go with a James Duff 2.5-3" lift. I have never heard of anyone who is unhappy with JD products.

A setup that I have seen plenty of people run is to throw a locker in the front and run a LSD in the back. Like little x said, you will only be using the front locker when you are in 4wd, so it won't affect your street manners.

I have a 94 xlt 4 door 4x4. When I bought it with a inch and a half lift, and 32 inch wild country all terrains. It is my daily driver, so far it has never been rock crawing... yet. Most likely it won't see many trails. It does see mud all the time. The truck feels very under powered. The drivetrain is stock (4.0, A4LD, BW1354, 8.8, D35 3.73/LSD). I am looking to upgrade. Here are some ideas i want feed back on.

My first was a 5.0, I really have been doing my homework on this, it seem like it would be very expensive, so it is probaly out of the question.

What I am leaning towards now is working on my axles. I want a a Bigger axle ratio, and lockers. for the ring and pinion I was thinking of either a 4.10, or a 4.56, I think a 4.88 is too much for the street. What do you guy suggest? I have 32's now, but i will probably have 33's in the future. Next questions is lockers? ARB air lockers seem pretty expensive so they might be out of the question. The cheapest one I have found is "powertrax lock-right" I don't really know anything about them, are they worth it? If those are junk then I am think detroit lockers. I know they have a good reputation? Anyone use any of these? Should i save up and get the ARB's?

Next option is a SAS. i don't rock craw it seems like everyone that does a SAS rock craws. I Dont want to lift it much more because its a daily driver. all the SAS I see have at least a 4-6 inch lift. Would i benefit from a SAS? is my Dana 35 good enogh for what i do, it doesn't seem to be holding my back.

Remember this is my Daily Driver and i would like to keep some kind of fuel economy. Idont get great milage already, 14 at best. I am a college kid so money is an issue for me, so please don't suggest something that will cost me3 grand because i don't have that money.

I would agree, 4.56 gears is pretty much perfect for 33s, although 4.88 isn't as bad as you might be thinking either. It'll definitely help keep that auto tranny from sucking all the pep out of your motor.

As for the SAS... IMO I think it's way overrated, even for crawling. I regularly take my BII on 35x12.50s with the D35 TTB on all the same trails you typically see populated by heavily-modified Jeeps (Rubicon, Dusy/Ershim Lake, etc.), and it's always performed right on par with them (it actually does even better when it comes to turning radius).
However keeping the TTB doesn't eliminate some of the homework that would be needed with a SAS if you still want it to flex well. Biggest things are having the right set of coil springs under there, and that your steering linkage angle is set up properly (I don't think there's a bolt-on suspension lift in existence that properly addresses both of these concerns, so you'll have a bit of extra work to do aside from just putting it on).
However for your more average trail use, a good kit like the Skyjacker Class II will perform quite well enough as it comes.

A couple front axle upgrades worth considering with your locker are the Warn #37780 Jeep hubs, and Spicer 5-760x u-joints with full-round snapring retainers. This will help strengthen even further what is already a good strong axle.

sorry i havn't been over here in a little bit. i think SAS is out of the question. I kinda like the idea of just doing the front locker to start off with and switch over to 4.56's and keep my lsd in the rear. Them if i still think i need it, i can get a locker for the rear. i already have a 2 inch (not sure on the brand, i didn't buy it) and it looks like i should have room for at least another inch of tire, i'll trim if need but that will wait untill these tire lose some tread. i also know the stock auto lockers have been ditched for some manuals, not warn, again i dont know the brand i didn't buy them. when i get the money to do this i think the new u-joints are a most, no reason to get that far and keep the stock u-joints. thank for the ideas

Back