Living with a lifted truck....need opinions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Living with a lifted truck....need opinions

green4WDmonster

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport
So I have a 93 Sport as a daily driver and I'm made plans to lift it. However, because it is my daily driver, and I frequently take it for weekend road trips, i want to know how daily life would change for me once i get it lifted. Now i've found 2 skyjacker kits, one is 4 inches, one is 6 inches and the difference is only 3 dollars. So i was thinking about going with the 6 inch kit and 34 inch tires....i want to hear from guys out there who have lifted trucks, both 4 and 6 inches, about your daily difficulties in using your truck. Things like loading and unloading the cargo area, getting things on and off the roof rack, MPG changes, things like that.....let me hear from your personal experiences and stories.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your biggest change is going to be mileage and power. If you want to go with 33-34" tires your really going to want to regear it. Probably in the range of 4.56's. I'm about 6' so loading/unloading was never an issue, actually it was a bit easier to load when it was higher because I didn't have to bend over or worry about hitting my head on the lift gate.

Dan

...^^^^..what he said, and you can easily go to 35" tires with that lift and gear package...:D

...Also, if you build some rock sliders you will have better access to your roof rack..;)

Alright....so what size tire would i be looking for if i wanted to go with a 35 inch tire on the factory rims.......and what are rock sliders?

Rock sliders are bars that hook to your frame and set underneath your rocker panels/doors. They prevent damage to the vehicle body by stopping the impact from rocks/ledges/tree stumps/whatever.
As for your question about daily life, the only complaint I have is putting my 4&6 year old kids in it. I have a total of 7" of lift and 35x12.5x15 BFG MT's(4:88 gears, I run a 15x8 rim). The older they get(heavier) the harder it becomes to get them in their carseats. Its tall enough that they can't climb in it yet......

...Here is a pic of when I was building my rock sliders...:D
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1755637&postcount=269

sliders002gz3.jpg

Honestly if it is a daily driver i would not lift it very much. Prob wouldnt go over 31s....

If i knew what i knew now i would have waited. Its great having a lifted truck but there is more than gas and getting stuff out of it. The maitance is a big deal.

I agree with Burns. It is expensive to regear. maintence is more frequent and expensive. If you are looking for offroad performance get a rear locker and a winch.

Still, lifter higher is closer to god and it does make the children point and smile.

I've been running my '94 Sport as a DD on 33's with a 5.5" lift and 4.56 gears for a while, and it's been a fairly decent DD. Gears make the difference. You get above 31's on the stock gearing and it will be a dog.

BTW, wanna buy my X? For what you will be putting into yours to do what you want, it'll be cheaper to buy mine. :D My X already has rock sliders, a winch bumper with winch, rear locker, etc...

click on the link in my signature for the truck....:D:D:D

Back