Need ideas! Won't idle and has no throttle response. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need ideas! Won't idle and has no throttle response.

97FordxSport

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
The truck is a 97 Explorer sport with the 4.0 SOHC v6. The engine is completely stock. I bought another truck so this one had been sitting for a couple months, only was driving up and down my road a few times. The last time I got it out it would bog in the 1k-2k rpm range. 2+k range had full power. While driving it, it would lose all throttle (rpms dropped to 400) if i let off the gas and pressed it again i would get power back. I thought it might be bad gas, so i filled it with premium and added a bottle of dry gas to it and drove it some more. I parked it and went into a store for about 20 mins. When I left it lost throttle again, so i let off the throttle and reapplied it. This time nothing happened, the truck kept running at 400-500rmps and sounded like it was going to stall. After about a minute I get power back. It contunied to do this more often and it would last for longer periods of time. I have no idea where to start looking for the problem. PLEASE HELP!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I (always) start at the fuel, check the lines, pump, even the filter could probably use a change, it sounds like your not getting enough gas when your hitting the throttle, try a filter, theyre only 7$

I was originally thinking it was something to do with the fuel lines/system, but when I start it, the first 3-5 seconds of "high idle" it sounds great then when it goes to normal idle it chugs and stalls. If it was a clouged filter wouldn't it chug right away. Also it chugs even worse when I give it gas.

I agree, it sounds like fuel pressure / volume issue. The suggestion of replacing the fuel filter is a good idea, inspect the old filter, check for blockage. If you do not find anything wrong, I would recomend investing is a fuel pressure gauge (make sure that it is designed for fuel injected engines).

All the suggestions given so far is perfect, if I was you , I will check as follow,
1 put the key in ignation & just turn on , not crank, your must listen fuel pump bee sound, confirming fuel pump is in operation
2 There is little bleed valve is in engine compartment, probably with blue plastic cover on it (if its ther) anyway remove & try to bleed the fuel line & feel the fuel pressure,
3 As every 1 suggest about fuel filter if you find low pressure.
4 There is a switch after the TP, which control the engine idle speed, (missing his name) even batter to check TP (Throttle Position) switch as well.
Good luck

All the suggestions given so far is perfect, if I was you , I will check as follow,
1 put the key in ignation & just turn on , not crank, your must listen fuel pump bee sound, confirming fuel pump is in operation
2 There is little bleed valve is in engine compartment, probably with blue plastic cover on it (if its ther) anyway remove & try to bleed the fuel line & feel the fuel pressure,
3 As every 1 suggest about fuel filter if you find low pressure.
4 There is a switch after the TP, which control the engine idle speed, (missing his name) even batter to check TP (Throttle Position) switch as well.
Good luck

If the car runs at all, the fuel pump is running. If the pump stops, the engine will die shortly afterwards.

The little bleed valve, is a pressure test port. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, this is where you would hook it up. I would not recomend trying to bleed the system. There should be over 40 psi of pressure, so spraying gas over a running engine is a very dangerous idea.

Yes, Dilbert5 is right about pressure, actually I should have warn you but I do mentioned don’t crank the engine!!
If Fuel pump dies car should shut off soon after gas finishes from fuel line & will never start till get fuel back, it’s oblivious but if the strainer at the suction of fuel pump clogged or fuel filter blocked, engine will start but will not have enough fuel to accelerate; you may like to check it, It could happen if you run your vehicle at really low fuel level in your fuel tank or park for bit longer time.

PS: I am glad to feel that member of this form do watch the write-up & point out if some thing neglected and also care of each other’s safety sake. I appreciate that!!!
Wish to have our world same as this cherish & peaceful place, Ameen.

Back