• Register Today It's free!

Need info on rearend swap

oneguyssky

Reaction score
City, State
Batesland, S.D.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Sport
Awhile back someone had stated that a certain year of Ranger rearend would bolt up to the Explorer because the springs were spaced the same width so you didn't have to modify to fit. This way it would be easier to lift it. Anyone know what year and rearend info?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The cost of the ranger rear end will be more then the cost to have a shop weld on some new spring perches. And most rangers come with a smaller rear end, so you would be down-sizing to a weaker rear axle. (I think some rangers came with the 8.8, not the 7.5, but if I remember right those were 28 spline axles, not 31, so they are still weaker, but I'm not a ranger expert)

A couple of things to consider.

1. Rangers are spring over axle, where as the explorer is spring under.
2. Swapping in the Ranger rear will give you lift, but the locating pin on your stock spring pack will need to be changed.
3. Depending on the Ranger, you"ll either get a 7.5" rear (very weak) or a 28 spline 8.8" which is weaker than your 31 spline 8.8" you have already.

Also I didn't know that anyone actually lived in Shannon County.

There are actually of a few here in Shannon county. Hermits, coyotes and such. Thanks for the info also. What type of spring perches should be welded on?

There are actually of a few here in Shannon county. Hermits, coyotes and such. Thanks for the info also. What type of spring perches should be welded on?

Read this thread, it will help:
Dead Link Removed

Checked it out and it's awesome! Thanks for the time, and money saved.

Another question if you don't mind. How about the conversion for the front end? What's the good way and fairly less costly? Again, thanks for the everyone!

I forget how much lift you gain from the "swing over" swap, but keep an eye out in the "parts for sale" area on this site for a drop bracket for the front (for your generation ex), I think that might be all you would need???. You will (of course) need to determine the length of the shocks you will need.
Sorry to say, but all my "lift" experience comes from my much younger days and they were all Chevys.

Are you talking about lifting the front end? if you're gonna keep the ttb, you can go 2" up before you need drop brackets, or you can swap in a solid axle. 2" lift springs are relatively inexpensive.

I seen that the front ends have been swapped out which seems to be less and lighter moving parts. Like 1/2 ton or full size Ford Bronco front end. With a leaf spring setup instead of the 2-piece now on it. Currently my ride has 10 1/2" rear lift, 10 3/4" front lift, both with aftermarket and homebuilt pieces, and 3" body lift. I was trying to get away from the stiffness of the backend, which was answered with putting the leafs over the rearend, but was wondering on the frontend and what straight axle swap would be the basic easiest. I do have access to a few wrecked vehicles around here. I tend to crack the radius arm brackets when bombing around in the mud and hard snow drifts when getting on it hard after a period of use. Even drove it home like that to repair.

Back