Having trouble getting rear end swap info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Having trouble getting rear end swap info

SpoonXLT

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
I've got a 1992 Explorer XLT. 8.8 rear end, 3.73 gears. What other vehicles have the same rear end? Will a 1995+ rear end with disc brakes bolt up without issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, the disc brake 8.8" is a common swap.:chug: The correct disc brake rear end is in '95 - 2001 Explorers.

Are there any proportining issues with the wheel cylinder Vs the caliper? Do you upgrade the valve to rear disc style?

You have slightly more front bias when braking with the drum master vs disc master. There's a slight difference in master cylinder diameter for more fluid travel in disc systems.

That being said I'm still running my factory drum master on my explorer disc rear end in my ranger. I feel it stops great for being on 35s. When it goes bad I'll probably upgrade then.

So I can just drop and swap the rear ends without modifications or buying other parts? I can figure out how to get the brakes to work. That shouldn't be an issue.
Basically I just don't want to be stuck with a rear end that is about to fall apart and another that is incompatible or requires tools and skills that I don't have (like a welder).

It will swap right in. Just check ratios and if you want the l/s option. E brake cables might be fun getting apart and swapping over, the rest should be easy.

From the donor vehicle get the rear brake hoses or order new ones. If I recall one of the hoses splits the fluid to the other side. It is different than how they did it in the first gen. All bolt on though. No welding.

Search for 8.8 disc brake swap and you should find some good info.

Assuming the donor is 31 spline 3.73 gears, I should be able to use the old axle shafts right?

Why would you?

Basically just in case the donor has a messed up axle or to use until I can get new ones ordered. I don't plan on using the old ones, I just want to know that I can if I have to.
The unfortunate part of the situation is that the Explorer is now my only vehicle. I also live up in the mountains with no neighbors and the closest shop, junkyard and autostore is an hour away. I just need to have all the bases covered and need to know exactly what I'm getting into. When I start the swap I won't be able to get to town to get parts if something is missing or damaged.

I'd doubt it as rock auto shows different part numbers for first and second gen, and also two lengths.

Leaf springs, shackles, shocks, drive shaft, etc is all the same though?
I planned on doing a 2" lift before I decided to do a rear end swap. Would the same parts work?

Here is a good thread:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/rear-axle-swap.401335/

That thread reminded me, when you install the rear discs you will have to remove your master cylinder and adjust the pushrod to get a good brake pedal otherwise the pedal will catch way too low. Just be careful to make small adjustments, you will be lengthening the pushrod, and don't go so far as to cause drag on the brakes.

The lift won't affect the swap.

You'll have to bleed the brakes anyway, so you might as well swap in the 2nd gen master. Don't want low pedal in the mountains.

Whether you keep ABS or not, I think the one you need is the 1995 master without ABS. Check out those threads for more detailed info.

I read through that thread. They talk about using a 95 brake MC but don't really say why specifically a 95. Maybe I just missed it. Why not any other second gen?
Properly functioning brakes are super important up in the mountains so I'll get what ever master cylinder I need. I'll keep doing research to try to figure it out but if anyone knows for sure which one I need it would definitely help me out.

According to Row52 my local Pick N Pull just got a 95. With ABS and and LSD. I'll probably take everything off that or a 98 I saw last time I was there.

I read through that thread. They talk about using a 95 brake MC but don't really say why specifically a 95. Maybe I just missed it. Why not any other second gen?
Properly functioning brakes are super important up in the mountains so I'll get what ever master cylinder I need. I'll keep doing research to try to figure it out but if anyone knows for sure which one I need it would definitely help me out.

I haven't done this swap, only researched it -- so keep in mind I'm going off the swap thread, which I link to below.

Long story, made short....as I understand it, the 2nd Gen ABS master cyls have a proportioning valve at the master. 1st gen masters, and the non-ABS 95 masters, do not. For us 1st gens, proportioning is done at the rear abs and at the HCU. The 2nd Gen 1995 non-abs master has the proper bore size for rear disc brakes *BUT* it has the advantage (for us 1st gen guys) of not having the typical 2nd gen proportioning at the master (apparently, some that did the swap, had proportioning/ABS activation/lockup issues using a 2nd gen ABS master). Using the non-ABS 95 master allows us to do the swap without pedal issues but yet keep our 1st gen ABS system. Some people report doing the swap and keeping a 1st gen master without problems, but some have problems.

For the long story....you might have been looking at the wrong thread. Check this one out:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...nces-explained-with-pictures-and-math.424023/

Does that help?

It's sounds like getting the 95 non-ABS MC is the safest way to go. I'll get a brand new one from a parts store. I assume it bolts right in and the lines match up.
This is sounding easier than I originally thought it would be. Cheaper too.

The guy at the parts store I called wasn't much help. I told him I need a brake MC for a 95 4x4, no abs and no proportioning valve. We kinda got stuck on the cruise control. I told him I wanted whichever one is cheaper as long as everything bolts in the same the lines in the same spot. I don't ever use cruise control. He told me they are two different parts but couldn't verify bolt pattern or anything like that. Auto zone part #2696 or 2695 is what he suggested.

http://m.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/master-cylinder-brake-system

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe I'll just use whatever MC is in the donor.

Back