Need more flex!

4WDriver

Reaction score
City, State
Las Cruces, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer XLT
Hey all,

I've had my '02 Explorer since April of '08 and love almost everything about it. The one major problem I have with it is the lack of suspension flex it has for off-road stability. I have tried removing the sway-bar end links on the front which helped, although the results are still below what I expected out of it. I traded-in my '96 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the Explorer and was used to the way the Jeep would flex. My last hunting trip I went down a stair-step obstacle which was relatively easy and not huge drops by any means. When I returned to go back out, the Explorer would get past the first step with the front wheels, but once the rear got to the first step and the front on the second, it would lift enough weight off one wheel both front and back and just spin them:rolleyes:. I ended up having to tackle the relatively mild obstacle with more momentum than I cared for which caused me to hit the front crossmember on said obstacle:eek:, though I made it up. This wasn't damaging to the vehicle, but I don't want to have to force it up such easy obstacles. Is there anything I can do to get better flex for increased traction and stabilty off-road? Aftermarket struts? coil-overs? Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

Sincerely,
Jose

p.s.

I almost rolled the Exp on another easy obstacle due to lack of flex. It was an off-camber descent which had it teetering on the passenger front and Driver rear wheels because they wouldn't stuff into the wheel-wells.

well, don't let anybody tell you there is a lift/coil spacer/ strut or item out there that will gain you suspension travel on an '02. Honestly all of these pieces just eat up some of the down travel to increase ride height. The a-arms on this truck are only set to handle a certain amount of wheel travel (lets say 10", you may get 5" up, 5" down, but with a longer coil you will only get 3" down and 7" up).

On your grand cherokee with 2 solid axles you could lift the truck and add longer coils springs and longer control arms to extend flex, that's not the case with a 4 wheel independent vehicle.

For what you are trying to accomplish (staircase obstacle) a little added ground clearance (larger tires, body lift or even longer coil springs) will help because there will be less things to hang up. Ultimately the larger tire will help get less things dragging on the ground.

If you have 1 front and 1 rear wheel spinning then a traction aid of some sort will be the answer and this can possible be more beneficial than lifting the truck. I'm not sure what lockers or limited slips are available for this year of truck but depending on how much on road time the truck sees would play a factor in my recommendation for that.

Also remember airing down your tires will help traction, but you will sacrifice ground clearance in the process.

4 wheel IFS just isn't much for flexing, an H1 is a great off road truck but one of the worst on the RTI ramp FYI.

Here is a great thread showing some off road ready trucks like yours
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230179

you need a rear locker IMO :) when you cant keep the tires on the ground, CHEAT

Back