• Register Today It's free!

Need Motor Mount Help Badly

summs

Reaction score
City, State
Boulder, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited V8
I need help on the process of changing the motor mounts on my 02 Explorer Limited 4.6L 4x4. I have been experiencing lots of vibrations and recently can feel the engine jerking when putting in and out of gear. Also, I can literally see the engine noticeably sitting lower on the drivers side in the engine bay. I know it has to be shot. I have seen some posts about other 4x4 and people saying you need to lower the diff to get access to one of the bolts but my Haynes manual makes no reference of that and doesn’t include that you actually have to do that. Has anyone actually done this procedure? I don’t have the money to take it into a shop right now and do most of my own work anyways and am pretty good at it. I just want a detailed explanation from someone who has actually done it and confirmation if I will actually have to lower the differential or not. The Haynes manual only says to remove the cooling fan upper shroud assembly and to support engine with jack stand. Thanks for your help, but I need to get this done because it really doesn’t seem safe for the engine to not be sitting correctly and worries me about further much worse damage. This is a 19-20 year old car with 300,000 miles on it so it’s definitely in the realm of possibility that the mounts are shot

Anybody...anybody at all?

Look on line for YouTube videos. 1A auto might have one. Saw one video showing replacing mounts but the engine was out. Regardless it looks like a major PITA.

Look on line for YouTube videos. 1A auto might have one. Saw one video showing replacing mounts but the engine was out. Regardless it looks like a major PITA.
Yeah I couldn’t find any good videos of the procedure being done on the V8 4x4 that doesn’t involve the engine actually being out. I did however get some detailed print outs from 2car pros of how to do it and it’s actually not horrible. A bit of a pain in the ass but I’m glad I talked to them because it’s way more in detail than what Haynes has in the manual. Definitely more involved than a lot of cars and more than it should be but I’m confident I can get it done. I have to, because it is an expensive ass job to take it to a shop surprisingly and I don’t have the money for that right now. But it needs to get done.

Back