• Register Today It's free!

Need new engine

nspellon

Reaction score
City, State
bronx ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 ford explorer
hi, all i have a 2013 ford explorer and the engine just seized. has anyone experience this before. it was towed to the dealer and the engine has been replaced. my problem is i had only 1700 miles but the engine they game me was 2800 miles. what do i do. any suggestions please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do you know how many miles are on engine #2?

What caused engine #1 to seize?

What do you do? Nothing. 2,800 miles is nothing for a motor that can go over 200,000 miles.

Where did they get it from? I'd be bullish** if they put a used engine in a 1-2 month old vehicle. A year old, fine, I get that.. replacing used with used of equivalent miles if it can't be rebuilt

To answer your question, I don't recall anyone needing an engine swap yet.

Did they tell you what failed?

Where did they get it from? I'd be bullish** if they put a used engine in a 1-2 month old vehicle. A year old, fine, I get that.. replacing used with used of equivalent miles if it can't be rebuilt

To answer your question, I don't recall anyone needing an engine swap yet.

Did they tell you what failed?

The difference in mileage is only 1100...no reason to go all ape **** over that. I would consider that to be equivalent miles....you'll never be able to find another engine with exactly the same miles. Since the odometer on the vehicle would still read 1100 miles, warranty would not be an issue either.....

Well I would be concerned. What if the engine before wasn't properly broken in? Who knows. Maybe someone decided to floor it like crazy and maybe the engine was a salvaged engine. I'd be suspicious. Think about it a used 3.5 liter only 2,800 miles? Should ask the dealership where the engine came from, why was it used. It'd be terrible if the engine was from a flood vehicle.

Well I would be concerned. What if the engine before wasn't properly broken in? Who knows. Maybe someone decided to floor it like crazy and maybe the engine was a salvaged engine. I'd be suspicious. Think about it a used 3.5 liter only 2,800 miles? Should ask the dealership where the engine came from, why was it used. It'd be terrible if the engine was from a flood vehicle.

Like I said......FULL WARRANTY".....but for sure you'd be smart to ask the question where the engine came from, that's just common sense. But to be concerned about how it was broken in......why get yourself all worked up and worried (remember....full warranty) and that is also a minor concern for anyone who has ever bought used...(yes, I know that in this case it's a new vehicle).....

hi, all i have a 2013 ford explorer and the engine just seized. has anyone experience this before. it was towed to the dealer and the engine has been replaced. my problem is i had only 1700 miles but the engine they game me was 2800 miles. what do i do. any suggestions please
Welcome to the Forum nspellon.:wavey:
I also do not recall reading any posts about a seized engine in the new generation Explorer. You are the first. As others have indicated, I'd want to know where the engine came from. If they can't/won't tell you, I'd make sure to take out the ESP warranty, just in case of future issues with it. Whatever you do, don't lose that paperwork.
Good luck.

Peter

Hi nspellon.

I'd like to look into some options for you. Could you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Thanks!

Ashley

Last time I heard of something like that was a co-worker's Suburban engine locked up. Turns out the quickly lube place was a little too quick and forgot to add the oil. $3500+ they had to pay for a new block I believe it was.

Last time I heard of something like that was a co-worker's Suburban engine locked up. Turns out the quickly lube place was a little too quick and forgot to add the oil. $3500+ they had to pay for a new block I believe it was.

Jiffy Lube had a lot of problems repeatedly of not doing proper changes even though they said they would like not changing oil filters, fuel filters, and all that stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81adNWOdxTs

If you want it done right, do it yourself. Always make sure whoever's doing your stuff, you mark all the old parts. One time, the dealership left the dipstick sticking out when they changed my oil. It happens. Just make sure everything is good yourself.

I would just like to chime in my $.02. As a trained ford technician (currently at a dealership), an ASE certified tech, and having a few years of aftermarket shop experience, I would like to question why a 2013 ford vehicle with 1100 miles would get a used engine from a dealership? It should be under full powertrain warranty, and get a new engine. I have done many engines under warranty, mostly ranging from 32000km up to 99000km on many many different ford vehicles. If it was warrantable, it got a NEW engine... I would raise some serious questions on why there was a used engine installed. At 1100 miles, I cannot see anything that would not be warrantable, short of submerging under water or serious track racing.

Sorry, should get my stories straight. 1700 miles. In short, any vehicle on warranty gets new parts. you don't go putting in used ball joints or transmissions or differentials under warranty. What kind of dealership did you take it to?

Has anyone experience a major engine failure on their 2013 Explorer and the engine had to be replaced under warrant?

Has anyone experience a major engine failure on their 2013 Explorer and the engine had to be replaced under warrant?
Welcome to the Forum Ancroft.:wavey:
It too bad that your first post had to be about replacing your engine. I believe there was one other member that had the same issue. It was a while ago and I'll see if I can find the post.

Peter

Using the Forum's 'Search' function, I found the following thread;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388020&highlight=engine+replaced

Hi Ancroft,

I wanted to touch base with you and see if you need any assistance. Reach out to me via PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll be happy to do what I can to help.

Crystal

I know of one 2013 Explorer that had the engine change at 11K (Yes 11, not with a 000). Problem was noticed pre delivery. That kind of thing can happen.

Blown engine

My 2.5 month 2014 Ford Explorer (3.5 liter v6 tivct) blew an engine at around 3000 miles. It has been in the shop 2 weeks. New motor just came in. Apparently there are at least seven incidents of this.

Ford is suggesting they make a car payment for me but that seems weak in terms of compensation. It's clearly under warranty and they promise to take care of everything but what just happened to the value? Does this impact resale? Anyone have any suggestions?

I am a longtime Explorer owner and have had good luck until now. Not sure how to handle this odd situation.

I'd at least ask for a premium long term extended warrantee. 7/70 or something like that. Be sure to get the premium coverage......best regards Plum

Nothing happens to the value.. you are not talking about a vehicle that is a limited production or an antique. A mass produced vehicle will not lose value.

Someone on here had a small oil leak with the turbo on their Sport and it blew the motor. They got 1 month payment and a 60k ESP for free. I'd request the same from Ford.

The positive side, it happened now rather then out of warranty and shouldn't happen again. Did they say what happened to it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No. Just that engineering wants the engine and they've isolated the problem. Unfortunately I purchased the premium extended warranty with the car. Not looking to get rich. These things happen. Just want Ford to take care of me as a longtime customer and compensate me for the inconvenience of waiting for a tow and two weeks in a service loaner.

Back