Need new engine | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need new engine

Thanks.

Broke a rod. Engineering wants engine for analysis. Isolated issue. Seven known defects to date. That's all they gave me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2.5 month 2014 Ford Explorer (3.5 liter v6 tivct) blew an engine at around 3000 miles. It has been in the shop 2 weeks. New motor just came in. Apparently there are at least seven incidents of this.

Ford is suggesting they make a car payment for me but that seems weak in terms of compensation. It's clearly under warranty and they promise to take care of everything but what just happened to the value? Does this impact resale? Anyone have any suggestions?

I am a longtime Explorer owner and have had good luck until now. Not sure how to handle this odd situation.
Sorry to hear about your situation. It looks like the dealer is looking after you but I don't think it would be out of the norm in a case like this to ask about having an extended warranty provided to you as plumbago and blwnsmoke suggested, if for nothing else but to give you some additional peace of mind.

As per my PM to you, I have merged your thread with this existing one on a similar issue.

Peter

No. Just that engineering wants the engine and they've isolated the problem. Unfortunately I purchased the premium extended warranty with the car. Not looking to get rich. These things happen. Just want Ford to take care of me as a longtime customer and compensate me for the inconvenience of waiting for a tow and two weeks in a service loaner.

Well since you have the premium ESP, I'd ask for 1 of two things, them to cover an extension to the 7yr/125k. Being they've given 60k ESP's out, the difference isn't a lot more. If not, I'd then request an upgrade on the 1st day rental option. They have the $30 per day for 30 days and $50 per day for $10 days. I'd ask them to add the $50 option (I think it is roughly $150) for it.

Besides that, one months payment is fair in my opinion and I wouldn't really hassle them any more. I think a payment is very fair for your time and the ESP upgrades is fair $$ wise for compensation.

My 2011 XLT with around 30,500 miles w/3.5L V6 starts sputtering, looses power and stalls 6pm Memorial day. Felt like bad gas but I had filled it up 60 miles earlier and it had been running fine.

Had it towed to my driveway (50 miles) by AAA. BTW it took AAA 3 hours to get to me. Luckily I was in a safe place. They claimed they were having problems due to the holiday.

Next morning I had AAA tow the Explorer to the dealer (ramp truck was in my driveway in 20 minutes).

Anyway, dealer tore down the engine and found the left side chain had snapped. They replaced the chain, reassembled the engine and it failed a compression check. Service advisor said the head was damaged.

So they ordered a new long block.

I bought the EX used w/7,000 miles November 2011. Former Enterprise rental. The 36 month 36k warranty expired May 2. Thank God for the 60k powertrain warranty.

I'm thinking I should get rid of this when I get it back. Friends think I should keep it since the engine will be new.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that I have not read about this problem and a lot of people have a lot more miles, so I hope it is one of those rare things that can happen, and yes, the 5 year/60k powertrain is a good thing!

On the bright side, you pretty much get a new engine with 30k on the Ex. Wonder how the powertrain warranty works on that - do you restart the 5 year/60k? Not a bad deal to get a free new engine at 30k regardless, though no doubt a hassle.

From an article hear,
"Vehicles move from Enterprise's rental fleet to its sales lots when they are one- to two-years old and have between 15,000 to 30,000 miles, Walsh says."

It seems that when your EX was sold in 2011 itself, with only 7000 miles on it, suggests their was something wrong with it. Why else would they sell it so early?

I sold with 6k miles and in 4 months to step into a Sport...:)

My neighbor works for a fleet services rental company, they are "upgrading" a portion of their fleet to appeal to a higher profile type of vehicle. So who knows why they decided to sell yours.

Talk to your dealer and see if they will offer a used warranty. It's as if they sold your truck as used, and you can purchase a 3/36 mile warranty. This is after an inspection, but be prepared not all dealers offer it. We did it with our 2002 f150 (purchased 9/2001 and through this process lasted until 6/2012). I traded that truck 12/2013, being out of warranty for the last 6 months of ownership.

On the bright side, you pretty much get a new engine with 30k on the Ex. Wonder how the powertrain warranty works on that - do you restart the 5 year/60k? Not a bad deal to get a free new engine at 30k regardless, though no doubt a hassle.

The engine takes on the remainder of the powertrain warranty, it does not start over.

From an article hear,

It seems that when your EX was sold in 2011 itself, with only 7000 miles on it, suggests their was something wrong with it. Why else would they sell it so early?

The dealer had around twelve of these 2011s. They ranged in mileage from 4,500 to 7,000. I liked the color (kona blue) and condition of the one I picked best.

The dealer said they sold these explorers to Enterprise in April, May 2011. My in service date was May 2, 2011. These twelve were summer rentals on Martha's Vineyard. When the season was over they sold them back to the dealer.

My thoughts are that I have not read about this problem and a lot of people have a lot more miles, so I hope it is one of those rare things that can happen, and yes, the 5 year/60k powertrain is a good thing!

The service advisor said he'd never seen that failure before.

He also said the Ford people wanted to get the failed chain and any bits and pieces sent back to them.

Yours is the second engine replacement post that I have read on this Forum.

Peter

As Peter said, only 2nd engine we've read about. With over 500,000 Explorers built, majority are the NA 3.5, I wouldn't have any concerns about this as being common or that it will happen again.

The engine takes on the remainder of the powertrain warranty, it does not start over.

I'm not 100% sure this is correct. When Ford put a remanufactured motor in my Mach 1 under warranty, it came with it's own warranty that was independent of the vehicle warranty.

2014 Explorer 7500 Miles blown motor

New to Forum and Ford.

Bought new Explorer XLT in November and last week on highway normal driving noticed a knock. No engine light then 20 miles later that knock was more of a screech ( Like a train slamming on its brakes ). Stop check fluids and all good. Call road side get a tow. Dealership tells me lower motor is blown connecting rod #6 bearing I believe. In the process of them asking questions trying to determine if I did something wrong or ignored checked engine lights the service lady informs me that the engine was rebuilt at 42kms before we bought it. Now My question is how upset would everyone else be if they were sold a new vehicle that already had to have lower engine work done. They never informed us of this when we purchased the vehicle and obviously they did a poor job of the repair.

My first thought was why the heck would you sell a rebuild engine in a new vehicle instead of a fresh motor and now I'm very worried they can repair the engine properly the 2nd time. Would it be out of line to demand a fresh engine or some other reparation? I do feel this was not an honest sale from the beginning but maybe this is a regular occurrence and the norm.

Welcome to the Forum RyeGuy76.:wavey:
Sorry to hear about your engine. I'd be quite upset myself if they sold me this vehicle without disclosing the engine repair. I don't think you would be out of line by requesting a new engine. My biggest concern would be why did this happen the first time and again the second time. Perhaps there is something else wrong that is causing this issue. Some members here have been offered an Extended Service Program for free for a lot less than an engine repair. If you plan on keeping it, I'd ask them to throw in the longest ESP available. I don't think that would be asking too much.

Peter

Does Canada have lemon laws?

No we do not. We have another process that people here use.
Although several provinces have attempted to enact lemon laws, there are currently no federal or provincial lemon laws in Canada. Instead, consumers can submit disputes to the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP). This is a binding dispute resolution program, set up in 1994, that allows consumers who buy cars in Canada to resolve problems with car manufacturers and dealers.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_6193101_canadian-lemon-law_.html

Peter

06-20-2013, 05:43 AM

Hello
hi all hope everyone is having a great week

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3167264&postcount=1
Something's not right with the OP's first post followed by the second three minutes later. Great week? No reply? :scratch:
06-20-2013, 05:46 AM

hi, all i have a 2013 ford explorer and the engine just seized. has anyone experience this before. it was towed to the dealer and the engine has been replaced. my problem is i had only 1700 miles but the engine they game me was 2800 miles. what do i do. any suggestions please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2015 Sport - Replacement Engine

I own a black 2015 Explorer Sport but after 4 weeks and 2500 miles it started making a tapping sound while driving but most noticeable at idle. I've taken it back to the dealer and they say the rear lifters are damaged and that they are going to replace the whole engine!

I have multiple questions that I’d like feedback on:

1) Do i have grounds to claim it's a lemon (I’m in Illinois)?
2) Should i seek legal advice and demand a replacement vehicle?
3) If they do replace the engine how challenging is that, should i care?
4) Is there any recourse for me to escalate this to corporate?

Im really worried that a dealer service guy is going to swap out the engine, it's a massive task and i don’t trust that they will do it correctly.

Back