• Register Today It's free!

Leaf springs

trucknutz

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 explorer sport
My leaf springs are sagging and my ride is getting really bad in the back. I am replacing my shocks and thinking about getting Warrior 153 shackles. Will the shackles help my leaf springs by stopping the sagging and making the ride more bearable?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The spring leafs have multiple leafs because they need to be progressive acting - first leaf bends first (on light loads), then second (on bigger loads)... When the rear is empty, just one (thinner) leaf is active, providing a smoother ride.
If that leaf sagged, now the second one adds to the spring rate to stop the movement. Ride just become harsher, because you have two springs doing the work, but still empty rear - that was supposed to happen only with some load on rear.
IMO, adding a shackle will increase the "pressure" on those two leafs (by trying to raise the truck more), making the things even worse.
PS: Leaf thickness is what gives the spring rate - 2/323, 1/307, 2ND 1/590 for F letter; 3/360, 2ND 1/590 for D letter; 1/341, 2/291 2ND 1/558 for A letter.

if your springs are sagging putting on shackles is not going to be good, they will actually inverse , on bumps, making them even weaker, and dangerous,,
they could break,,

Back