Need opinion on shocks for 95 Limited... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need opinion on shocks for 95 Limited...

I got sensa-tracks to replace the o.e. shocks on my 96 last summer. Sears had rhem for the same price as any other local retailer. They charged $20 ea. for install. At that time we were getting a week of nothing but rain so I let them do it.

Interestingly though, when I was shopping around a local tire chain quoted me over $800 for the same shocks!! I told the guy "I just want the price to put a set of shocks on ONE Explorer" . He didn't get/like the joke

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect ARC module

The Bilstein shocks are considered to give the best street handling with a good ride, ask Mike above. The Bilsteins are about $275 for four, the Monroe's will be under $200 for four.

FYI, to disable the ARC system(and the message in the MC), pull the radio out, and disconnect the ARC module. The ARC module is directly to the right of the radio, with two connectors on top. You could also in addition go pull the two fuses, but it's not necessary.

Please report back about how easy it was to disconnect the module, and good luck.

It was dead easy. 2 connectors on top of the module, one grey the other black.
Now I don't have the (Air Ride Message). Works perfect. Thanks.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it, as no one else actually posted results before.

Hi Don,

I saw your ARC removal post and tried it with no success. Hope you can assist , I have a 2000 explorer and turned off the air compressor switch at the trunk and have a check suspension light on the dashboard which I'm trying to get rid of. So I took out the radio and saw the ARC module with 2 plugs on top , one black and one gray .thing is I can't take out the 2 plugs on top since there is no space to pull them up and the ARC module (black plastic square is definitely not moving ) is there anything I'm doing wrong here ? appreciate your response as i have not put back the radio back on.Thanks so much !

Eric
email : kristrad@yahoo.com

Hi Eric, it's been since late 2006 that I installed my ARC system. I don't recall the order of which components went in first. I had the air bag out of the passenger side, but I thought it went in from the radio side. The ARC module is held in by one small bolt and a slot like a wall clock I think. The connectors are not hard to release, they are at least the easier type. It just takes one finger to press in the middle of the connector lock.

I looked and don't seem to have any picture of the module installed. My new 98 Limited has the ARC but the PO removed the shocks, compressor, and solenoids from it. The error light was on due to that, and I've had the console out of it while using it for work. I also plan to remove the ARC module from that truck, I don't intend to need the air shocks.

I would like a spare compressor though, if yours still work okay.

I have read of how good the Bilsteins are for a long time. I have five of those ready to go on, hopefully this weekend. They are supposed to give a better ride than all others.

I have had a set of Bilsteins on my 98 since 2002 and they have a bout 150,000 on them. They still ride great, but what makes them even better is Energy Suspenson (Neoprene) sway bar bushings all around - front and rear. Get the 97 and prior rear sway bar bushing design and the car will ride very nicely and be much more stable at all speeds.

I have had a set of Bilsteins on my 98 since 2002 and they have a bout 150,000 on them. They still ride great, but what makes them even better is Energy Suspenson (Neoprene) sway bar bushings all around - front and rear. Get the 97 and prior rear sway bar bushing design and the car will ride very nicely and be much more stable at all speeds.
Yes, this is a very worthwhile "mod." With reflex in the front, coilovers in the back and those poly bushings it is extremely stable and controllable. Was almost undriveable in high crosswinds before. A little sport car like on bumps though, but it is a truck, now a towncar.

Back