Need Project Input

mauidiver15

Reaction score
City, State
Yakima, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Mazda Navajo
Hey everyone,

I am a huge newbie at audio, but after looking around I plan to put in this new system in place of the stock HU that fried and doesn't work anymore.

I like the features Alpine 7894 for a HU
For speakers, I was going to replace all four with Alpine Type-R 5x7
I don't really want a subwoofer, at least not now
I hear that an amp will make a ton of difference

I'm looking for quality, lasting parts. Lemme know if this line up looks good, what amp to look for/need, and any other parts I don't know about that I'll need.

Thank you:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alpines are very good HUs and speakers. But you will want some bump when you have you HU all the way up and theres no feel to the music. You can add a sub with amp, wiring, box, for under 300

those are good choices so far Alpine makes good head units as well as speakers-Type R's will do the job-put an amp to 'em and you'll be set until your ready for a sub-any small 4-channel amp will do just fine-you can stick w/Alpine they make good 4-channels or you could look into something cheaper, just make sure it's reliable!

the reason I don't want an amp right now is space, I don't want a box, and I don't crank it real loud. I am looking for reliable, quality music with certain features. What should I do to leave the system ready for a sub when the time comes, should I get an amp designed for this from the start so I don't have to replace the first one later?

Also, will those speakers fit right and whats involved getting them in.
Do I need any wiring, or is stock ok.
Lemme know about these other details

Does a five channel amp run four speakers and a sub?

If so, can I put a 5 channel in now and run only the four speakers?

Thanks

Where have you guys found to be a good location for the amp? I want it to be out of the way and preferably not visible.

Also, what have you thought of these 10" subs that fit in the passenger side net pocket that are on eBay? Are they crap?

Are you talking about Thunderforms or JL boxes?? Five channal amps are great, usually run your sub 100-200Watts. People have placed amps under the seats, on the back of seats, etc.

my amps are on the back of the rear seats in between the flap and the actual back of the seat-in your case a 5-channel would be a good idea since your not looking for heart pounding bass-so ya i guess for now get a 5 channel only use 4 of them and then later you can use the unused channel for a sub.

and no, the thunderforms are a good choice to maximize your space in the cargo area, and will give you a nice clean crisp bass, not so much as to drown out your speakers, some of them are self powered but you need one that isn't if you want to utelize the 5th channel on your amp-also nothing is needed for your type-r 5x7's they will mount right in to OEM specs-you can use the factory wire, although some people prefer to rewire everything, i used the factory wire-it works fine

Should I go 5x7 on all four corners or different size in rear?

Thanks for all the replies!

Any size should work, 6x8s are the largest you can put in the Xplorer. It just comes down to personal preferance....

Get the 6-channel MA Audio M1686i. I installed it and it runs 4x100 into 4 ohms and 2x200 in 4 ohms. It's 2 ohm stable too for major power increases, mainly for the sub. It's 279 at thezeb.com and it fits where the factory sub is. Also, zedaudio@aol.com is a manufacturer of tons of amps and sells refurbs cheap. Shoot him an e-mail.

While i like the ma audio amp, I'd suggest that you get a 5 channel like you originally asked, run the speakers from that, till you want to step up to a sub. I belive alpine makes some nice 5ch amps to run your 5x7's well.

The other thing that was not mentioned that will help when/if you add a sub is to buy a head unit that has 3 sets of RCA outputs, one dedicated to the sub. It is not required but makes intall and sound adjustment easier. 3 sets of outputs usually steps you up in the $ though.

By the way I have two amps under the back seats, one feeding a 10' MTX thunderform in the storage compartment. Sounds good, no room gone in the back. I did not get a 5 or 6 channel amp because at the time a two amp setup was cheaper, more flexible instal (some of those 4+ channel amps are big and do not let seats fold down), and because I wanted more RMS to the sub. But that MA audio one sounds interesting.

For years, I had he crappy stock speaker, and of course, they were rattling and crapped out (hey they were 11 years old), so when I installed my new speakers, it had a dang big improvment. I added the Pioneer 3way 5x7s, with a Pioneer 7200 Series HU. IT was one of the first pioneers with the "flying" graphics... (dang near $400 just for a cd player)... oh well, that was a few years back, and it still wroks great! (BTW, I never claimed to have an awesome system, lol, it just tsounds good to me, and thats what matters :) )
--bryan

Back