Need replacement for Moog upper ball joint boots | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need replacement for Moog upper ball joint boots

Koda - let it slide - your a really valuable contributor to the website and you share your knowledge base with everyone.
I've turned keeping my X running for many miles into a hobby and this website is the biggest asset. One man's greasy bits are another man's coin collections ))))))

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@floridacatfan - Consider it slid. Given an opportunity I just like to explain my maintenance philosophy. Everyone is welcome to do as they please.

Koda...I'm pretty much in the same boat. I bought-in with a low budget/high miler 3rdG Explo XLT, figuring it'll do for daily-driver chores while I budget for the finer things like suspension parts (it tends to "wander" quite a bit). The only thing I'm still nervous about, having read countless caveats, is my 5R55 tranny seems to lack "authority" choosing its shift-points. This is the first "otter-matic" I've owned in several decades, and maybe I'm just a little paranoid, but that doesn't mean it's still not out to get me...

Years ago, I drove dad's old Caprice Classic wagon home to Florida, and it was showin' inboard scrub on the front sneakers. Took it to Sears for an estimate, where they did their level best to convince me I had just narrowly avoided a horrible death. In accordance to their Sacred Code of Honor, they couldn't let me drive away for less than $1,800. Fortunately, I was watching the inspection and saw the same wonky idler-arm they did...and fled. Went around the corner to the local NAPA for an $18 part, which cost another $20 install at "Paulie B's". Caught a sale-price on four Michelins that were runnin' straight and true two years later...'Nuff said...

Koda - let it slide - your a really valuable contributor to the website and you share your knowledge base with everyone.
I've turned keeping my X running for many miles into a hobby and this website is the biggest asset. One man's greasy bits are another man's coin collections ))))))

I certainly hope I didn't ruffle any feathers...Please let me be clear that I really enjoy the company here, and it's easy to feel right at home. It's just my nature to look at the lighter side of things, and I can sometimes sound like a bit of a wise-guy, but it's rarely my intent to offend (you'll know that when you see it). I will, however, get serious in a heartbeat if someone suggests an idea that might prove harmful or dangerous. Had my share of "Been there, done that, got the stitches" experiences..:rolleyes:..

I have to agree with the Catfan...If this forum was any more educational, they'd have to issue college credits,..
(Or, at least, ASE merit-badges)...

Cheers...:chug:

I never regressed my garbage moog upper arms after initial installation and the boots were junk in a couple years. I’ve been through all of this too. Energy suspension doesn’t have boots that will work. I’ve spoken to a live person on the phone. Need to keep looking. I need to check with speedway. They may have something that will work.

This is getting a little unsettling...My original plan was to wait for the weather to cool off a bit, order the deluxe Big Box-O'-Parts kit and a set of preloaded struts, and spend a quality weekend with a breaker-bar and the "pickle-forks". Now I'm tuning into this, and other threads around the clubhouse, and wondering "What happened?"...

Used to be, you had two choices...cheapo knock-offs, or trusty name-brands (like Moog), and you could expect to get what you paid for. From the collected experiences here, things seem to have changed. I've been spending time (quite a bit, actually) diggin' thru the Amazon archives for customer feed-back, but even that has limitations. It's hard to find value in "Fast shipping!! Haven't installed yet, but LOOKS GREAT!!"...

The one option I have yet to explore (or see comments on) is the dreaded OEM FoMoCo route. I'd expect dependability to be top-shelf, but is there a way for us to get it without qualifying for Rape Crisis Counseling?...Any thoughts?...

IBstang - I'm not sure what you are asking for.

There is a link under the gen best links that details how to do the retrofit for after market parts for both the upper and lower ball joints. I'm not sure what your referring to for a pre-loaded strut. There is only a shock and it's not preloaded.

I can only say what parts I chose.

I work with Moog and not the economy moog models - the economy models are made overseas and a brand label placed on them. I used the specialty products cam shims.

If you want the American made moog parts pay attention to what you are getting.

I would not go OEM for the ball joints. hey have no grease fittings and the upper ball jonts are not replaceable.

Struts? What struts?

For my money I still believe the Moog Problem Solver ball joints are at/near the top of the list for quality. My issue is with the boots that hold the grease in and keep the dirt and water out.

My experience with the Ford OE grease boots has been as poor (maybe worse) than the Moog boot material. I can't say when the OE grease boots begin to rot away, but on all 7 of the used Explorers/Mountaineers I've purchased the ball joint grease boots were MIA. Maybe one of our members who purchased their Explorer new can give an estimate on OE grease boot life expectancy, but as the OE joints did not include grease fittings, over-greasing can't be blamed. The OE boots look like they were made of rubber and apparently they dry-rot.

As far as replacement boots, I'll probably try these:
2x Polyboots Ball Joint Dust Covers 18x47x30 mm Suspension Replacement PU Boots | eBay

Ditto - what koda said

This is getting a little unsettling...My original plan was to wait for the weather to cool off a bit, order the deluxe Big Box-O'-Parts kit and a set of preloaded struts, and spend a quality weekend with a breaker-bar and the "pickle-forks". Now I'm tuning into this, and other threads around the clubhouse, and wondering "What happened?"...

Used to be, you had two choices...cheapo knock-offs, or trusty name-brands (like Moog), and you could expect to get what you paid for. From the collected experiences here, things seem to have changed. I've been spending time (quite a bit, actually) diggin' thru the Amazon archives for customer feed-back, but even that has limitations. It's hard to find value in "Fast shipping!! Haven't installed yet, but LOOKS GREAT!!"...

The one option I have yet to explore (or see comments on) is the dreaded OEM FoMoCo route. I'd expect dependability to be top-shelf, but is there a way for us to get it without qualifying for Rape Crisis Counseling?...Any thoughts?...

Ford OE parts are not always easy to find. IMO if you stick with major players such as Moog, Beck/Arnley, or brands like KYB for shocks you should be OK. KYB products I've gotten are usually made in Japan. Raybestos has been hit or miss. For other mechanical or electrical parts, Denso has consistently been top notch when they have stuff available.

I tried to chat with Moog customer service on-line and also tried sending them an email (Federal Mogul Customer Service). The email could not be delivered and in the chat I was told that they did not sell the boots separately..

Did you ask them about warranty replacement? If they don't have the boots separate, how about an advance ship of the entire ball joint then you take the new boot off, put your old boot on, and return the new BJ with your old boot. If they direct you to contact the seller then take it up with the seller. Worst case, the seller redirects you back to Moog making the warranty worthless.

Granted the shipping cost may be as much as the boots bought elsewhere unless you're going through a seller that offers free (postage paid) returns. You might get that going through a Moog rep for Amazon?

I'm working with an '05 2WD, complete with indy rear suspension, and struts on all four corners. The "pre-loads" are complete strut and spring assemblies, that save wrasslin' with spring compressors that, frankly, kinda' scare me. That, and the new springs tend to freshen up the ride to orig stance...

Thanks for the tip on the diff for Moog parts. They've been well regarded as long as I can remember, and I was unaware of the "bootleg" side market. I may also be looking at a new R&P install, but that's pending further investigation. At 171K+ miles, my original thought was to just go "clean slate", and be done with it. Reality may force a few priorities up the list...Cheers...

Struts? What struts?

For my money I still believe the Moog Problem Solver ball joints are at/near the top of the list for quality. My issue is with the boots that hold the grease in and keep the dirt and water out.

My experience with the Ford OE grease boots has been as poor (maybe worse) than the Moog boot material. I can't say when the OE grease boots begin to rot away, but on all 7 of the used Explorers/Mountaineers I've purchased the ball joint grease boots were MIA. Maybe one of our members who purchased their Explorer new can give an estimate on OE grease boot life expectancy, but as the OE joints did not include grease fittings, over-greasing can't be blamed. The OE boots look like they were made of rubber and apparently they dry-rot.

2x Polyboots Ball Joint Dust Covers 18x47x30 mm Suspension Replacement PU Boots | eBay
Nice I may buy a couple sets to have just in case

I can say my movotech Ball joints have real rubber boots we will see how long they last

Moog directs you back to where you purchased. Good luck with that.

Struts? What struts?

Koda shoots, he SCORES!!...You should run, not walk, to the phone and get Distributor status for PolyBoots. I checked the link on eBay, and noticed they have a clicker for catalog info. With a bit of diligence, a fella could generate a go-to parts list with their help, and the Explorer Forum world would be yer OYSTER...

Contemplating a Grand Tour suspension up-grade, and considering the group-funk frustration over inferior boot performance, I wouldn't think twice about discarding and replacing the factory crap right outta' the box. Cheap insurance, and money well spent...

The next great debate here...Stock OEM black vs. rooty-tooty colors (I'm leanin' towards the blue ones)..:D..

Edit...With my being PNG with eBay (long story), I've tracked 'em to the nest...
Polyurethane Dust Boots

Edit/Edit...Umm, turns out that they're based outta' Bulgaria. Would that be, like, collusional ?..:eek:..

I spent a bit more time exploring the web-site, and there's some great info to be found. I found one page with pix showing the range of boot sizes between diff part manufacturers, all for the same app, no two alike. They also have a page where you can just plug-in the vital statistics, and they'll choose yer parts...
SEARCH BY SIZE

Plan B...Order the matched parts, scope the dimensions and order the boots, and live happily ever after for another 100K miles. Bear in mind that PolyBoot prices are posted in Euros, and dimensions are mike-mikes, as opposed to fractional inches. Easiest way to simplify the conversions...
Calipers & Micrometer - Harbor Freight Tools

I don't get the antipathy towards Motorcraft OE suspension parts. I got my 1996 used in 2002 with 110,000 mi on it, and the OE boots were fine. Here it is 17 years since I got the '96, and the OE boots are 50-70% gone. I'm only up to 182,000 mi, so this must be mostly age-wear. However, the joints aren't making noise and I keep them packed with grease because I figure the odds are that the truck will fail smog or the trans will blow before I have to really deal with the suspension.

This thread is about Moog boots failing at 13k. My OE boots lasted almost 200k and 23 years and the joints are still chugging along, so...I don't get the antipathy towards OE.

No antipathy towards Motorcraft from here. OE tends to be the best when it's available. However, given the age of these Explorers, Motorcraft parts can be hard to find and/or extremely expensive to the point of not being worth it.

Wasn't it TRW that made the factory BJs? IIRC my factory lower BJs were these TRW's:

JBJ7026 - TRW Automotive Aftermarket Parts

They also look just like the $44 Motorcraft MCF2233 at Rock Auto:

More Information for MOTORCRAFT MCF2233

I just hate paying more for the motorcraft name than the exact same part sells for under the manufacturer's own brand! Summit Racing and ebay have the TRW for $32 and $34.

Amazon happens to have them at a great price ($16) right now if anyone needs some, BUT there is only 1 in stock... they state "more on the way" but it is likely the price will go back up once they get more in:

https://www.amazon.com/TRW-Automotive-JBJ7026-Premium-Joint/dp/B00T9Y1OQ2

One question is when they were made, I mean ANY brand. Brand new rubber may last 20 years, but if a brand new (replacement) BJ has brand new rubber made 20 years ago... At least with Moog's newer lower BJ you know it can't be very old because they've only done that new integrated,/recessed boot design for about 4 years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you now have 182,000 miles on your original OE ball joints and the boots have been torn for a while I pretty sure they're worn out. I bet if you get around to changing them you'll be amazed at how worn they really are.

I don't buy Motorcraft ball joints because:
- 1 They're too expensive
- 2 The uppers BJ's can't be replaced without replacing the UCA
- 3 I prefer having grease fittings

I do spring for Motorcraft parts when it's been proven that they are superior to anything the aftermarket has to offer.

Back