Need Some Help: Making a home made LED bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Some Help: Making a home made LED bracket

Alright I want to make a few home-made LED light brackets myself but I am not sure of a few things. I have a special switch witch will handle up to 12 different leads. However it needs to be a two wire set-up. Meaning it has a spot to screw in for a + wire and - wire. How would I go about wiring this? I would like it in parallel, if possible. Would 18 gauge wire work?

Also, what kind of LEDs should I get. Here is a pic of the neon I have under the Driver's side dash now. It is bright and I would like the LEDs to be this bright, if possible. I figured 3-4 LEDs per bracket. I have cheepy 6" LED tubes under the seats right now from AutoZone ($15). Well.... you get what you pay for. Not bright at all. Looking for something better.

P1010006.jpg

Lastly, how do you guys mount your lights on the passanger's side? There is a black box in the middle that breaks up the area pretty badly.

Yes, I read through this. But it doesn't state how he mounted them on the passanger's side, if 18 gauge wire would work, or how they should be wired (like a diagram). However, this is what I want to do.

for my "bracket" i just used the perfboard (bad spelling), i did 5 per bracket (5mm led, 5000mcd) which are plenty bright
img5090sd4.jpg

also take a look here, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202947 . i just used "adhesive sealant" to "mount" it
2ugjkw4.jpg

NOTE: i would get the led off ebay, you will get WAY more for your money then any other place selling led's (like radio shack, ect) theirs a guy on their called "besthongkong"

yes 18gauge wire will work just fine, if you get them off ebay more then likely they will come with resistors, so you will wire them like this
series0.png
, then just connect all the + together and all the - together.

Back