• Register Today It's free!

Need Some Help

Dukes193

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Ok so i took my 2000 XLS to get inspected today and it failed. Apparently I need to change my Brake Master Cylinder cause it's leaking and that makes you fail safety inspection. So how hard is it to change that? I work on cars and dont have a problem doing it. I'm semi new to explorers so i'm not familiar with how to do anything on these trucks yet. Also I can move my headlights about 1/2 inch up and down so i need to find some new adjusters for them or is this normal? Any help would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never done one, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that you need to take precautions so as to not introduce air into the ABS system, because it takes a special tool to bleed the ABS module.
Other than that, I really don't know, other that to look it up in the service manual.

thanks for the info i'll have to look at the service manual.

JUst throwing this out there-
check to see if it is the brake switch mounted on top of the master cylinder-
there is a recall for them leaking I believe..

Thank Turdle I'll make sure to check that first then. I'm taking it to a different shop on tuesday to get it reinspected cause i think the last shop was just screwing with me. The breake master cylinder looked like it was just overflow not that it was leaking cause it was dry and didnt look fresh or like it had been leaking

Back