need tire advice from those in the know... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need tire advice from those in the know...

I looked around for tire posts but didn't see the info I needed...so I'll have to ask:

I bought my 94 Explorer Sport about a month ago. It came with stock 235/75 Firestone ATX tires on them, and the previous owner said they had about 10000 miles on them.

I know how baseline Firestone tires are, so I have been looking for the chance to sell them or get rid of them somehow. Over the weekend someone offered to buy them from me (must be a sucker, but I'll gladly part with em). I was going to wait until this fall to replace the firestones, but now that's changed.

I am looking more at all-season radial tires as opposed to all-terrain tires. But if someone can point me to the BEST all-terrain tire that doesn't THROW ROCKS onto my explorer I would be thankful. I know someone with 30x9.50 BFG Trail T/A's and he says they throw rocks very badly on his Jeep Wrangler. I DO NOT want rocks thrown up on my Explorer.

Anyone have Pirelli Scorpions (an all-terrain tire)?

That's why I am aiming toward all-season radials. I need something that can do mostly street but can handle occasional off-road use. I don't go mudding or have a lift, etc. I usually go skiing a little, go back in the woods every now and then, etc. But mostly it's vanilla driving.

The explorer maintenance page says Michelin LTX and
Dunlop Radial Rovers are among the best...are these all-season radials? Someone posted that the Michelin LTX didn't look good on the Explorer...that it looked like a passenger tire...

I want a tire that is the same type as Firestone ATX but is a much more high-quality tire.

Size: I am thinking of a very slightly larger size to better fill the wheel well...maybe 245/75? Someone posted that they liked 255/70...they guy at the tire store acted like 255/70 on an explorer would not look very good, and that I should stay with 75 ratio. I have seen 255/70 on a 95+ Explorer (but it had 16" rims) and thought it looked ok.

any opinions greatly appreciated..

I would go with the BF Goodrich AT. I know, they are not all season tire, but mine performed perfectly during all seasons (and more ;) ) without throwing rocks. They don't make a lot of noise on road and last for ever and three days. (mine have 10 mm left after 30'000 miles)

Just my personal opinion.

Have fun and tread lightly

Back