Need your opinions...trans swap. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need your opinions...trans swap.

certain

Reaction score
I have a 03' Explorer V6 4.0

I have a strong running engine in it. I'm just wanting to swap the automatic transmission for a manual transmission.

For starters is this heard of? I would want the overall appearance to look something similar to this.
k1v3gn.jpg

A. What am I getting myself into?
B. Roughly how much money will be spent on this swap? ( I plan on going with a used good condition transmission)
C. Is this a fairly easy swap for a local mechanic?
D. Any links directing me to reading material on the topic?
E. What kind of problems would I be looking at down the road?

Thank you very much for future replies.

I think for this to work you're going to have to find a donor vehicle of the same year range. You'll have to get all the parts off it. Trim, tranny, flywheel, pedals. The whole enchilada. That's where I'd start at. Finding those parts. It'll be expensive to have a mechanic do the swap.

its been done, it will be more difficult with a Gen III truck
You will need to swap out your computer or have it flashed to remove the transmission functions

You will have to locate a 5 speed that will work in your 03 truck (ranger SOHC 4.0L or Explorer)
if the truck is 2wd or 4wd you need to make sure you find the correct 5 speed
You will need the brake & clutch pedals, the master cylinder, the hydraulic line, starter, flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, etc

there will be wiring changes, you will have to remove the carpet and seats, you may have driveshaft modifications, and more

If you are planning to pay a mechanic to do this conversion it would be CHEAPER to but a 5 speed truck
seriously, this is a BIG PROJECT and when we are talking about a 2003 vehicle, its going to get EXPENSIVE, I would guess $5000ish
May be cheaper to go V8

Back