Need your opinions!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need your opinions!!

willisonm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Alright, so i own a 2000 mercury mountaineer. It's a 4x4 4.0 V6. running at 147000 miles.

so with all of that out of the way, i have been hearing some weird noise coming from the front of the engine (i think), almost like a "clinking" noise. but its only when its cold that it sounds really bad. after i drive it or warm up the suv, it doesnt sount at all.. i read somewhere that the timing chain in my generation mountaineer could go bad? could that be it? someone also told me that there is a metal plate between the engine and transmission that make that noise.. idk what to think..

and i have a shaking problem at idle.. mostly in park, but in drive, too.. now i am buying a new IAC Valve to see if that fixes it.. it was 27 dollars at JC Whitney so it was worth the try.. (im hoping it does help it) so does anyone else have a opinion? and i dont think it is the intake gaskets because i checked around the intake as saw nothing unusual.

I love my car to death and will be driving it 100+ miles after winter so any opinions help.. thanks in advance!!

My opinion? Well, lets just say I'm glad I have the 4.0 OHV and not the 4.0 OHC engine. Not owning one of the OHC engines, I can only go from what I have read on this forum. Sounds like the timing chains to me. But, you didn't say which engine you have. I am just assuming it is the OHC. My Ex is a 96, so I am not experienced with the newer ones. So, that is just my opinion, not being able to hear the noise.

Just spitballin here but have you had any work or messed with your cat on your exhaust? Or any codes pop up for check engine?
I had a ticking and I had a hole in my cat. Whenever I started it up when it was warm it was louder then cold. But would go away after started driving arouns. And when I mud/offroad and ragged on it and floored it then check engine would pop up saying emissions leak. Think it was something like p445...something
Some people have this problem and its either gas cap or cat

i fail to say that it is a SOHC 4.0 and i my MIL isnt on and when i plug my OBD in, it shows nothing.. its just stuff i feel and hear that has me worried.. but when you said something about your cat. it made me realize that it sounds like my exhaust is starting to leak.. it might be one of those times where i take it in and have them check it out..

thanks guys

Back