Advice/opinion needed/wanted 97 4.0 going into 02 sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Advice/opinion needed/wanted 97 4.0 going into 02 sport

FSBARAK

Reaction score
City, State
S.E.Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB Explorer AW/4WD
My '02 Sport finally gave up the ghost at 303+k miles. i really kind of like the thing and the way I have it set up, so I am looking at dropping another engine in it. I have 2 donor vehicles. One is a '97 Explorer 4 door 4.0 w/128k on it. The other is a '97 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0.
Opinions or advice on which one would be the better option would be great. Or is neither on a good choice?

Due to medical issues, the easier the better. I am hoping the 4.0 would be pretty much plug and play.

I have already pulled the engine on the 02. The others are sill in their respective vehicles.
If I go with the 4.0, I plan to replace the timing chains, tensioners, etc.

I know nothing about either of these engines, except that I have heard the 5.0 run with starting fluid. Fuel pump is not working in the vehicle.
The man who owned the 4.0 pulled the transmission and had what looks to be a new trans sitting next to it. That kind of makes me think he planned on driving it once the trans swap was done. He passed away, so i can't ask him. This vehicle is in very nice shape, except for the paint.

Anyways, thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '02 Sport finally gave up the ghost at 303+k miles. i really kind of like the thing and the way I have it set up, so I am looking at dropping another engine in it. I have 2 donor vehicles. One is a '97 Explorer 4 door 4.0 w/128k on it. The other is a '97 Mercury Mountaineer with the 5.0.
Opinions or advice on which one would be the better option would be great. Or is neither on a good choice?

Due to medical issues, the easier the better. I am hoping the 4.0 would be pretty much plug and play.

I have already pulled the engine on the 02. The others are sill in their respective vehicles.
If I go with the 4.0, I plan to replace the timing chains, tensioners, etc.

I know nothing about either of these engines, except that I have heard the 5.0 run with starting fluid. Fuel pump is not working in the vehicle.
The man who owned the 4.0 pulled the transmission and had what looks to be a new trans sitting next to it. That kind of makes me think he planned on driving it once the trans swap was done. He passed away, so i can't ask him. This vehicle is in very nice shape, except for the paint.

Anyways, thanks for any input.
the 4.0 would be completely plug n play, but the 5.0 may be longer lasting. no timing issues with those. one thing to consider is how much longer youll keep it.

Thank you both. I plan to keep it for the rest of my life or until it is no longer worth fixing. Whichever comes first.
Both vehicles are complete. The Merc is missing the front fenders and some lights, but, other than that, it is complete.

After I posted this, I thought maybe put the 4.0 in my 02, then put the 5.0 in the 97 Explorer. Then scrap the 97 Merc.
The more I think about this the more I like it. The 97 Explorer is in truly nice shape.

So to swap the 4.0 into the 02, it looks like I would have to swap the intakes. Anything else I would have to do?

Def put that 5.0 in something.

I love my SOHC truck, but my 5.0 drives and sounds sooooo nice

Back