• Register Today It's free!

Neutral tow not working

Dave Head

Reaction score
City, State
Oviedo, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport 401a
I'm posting here since this is likely the widest audience. I'm trying to finish up a neutral tow kit install and its not working. I bought the kit and installed it for my 07 V8 Sport Trac (including the neutral micro switch, and engaging neutral tow programming in the 4X4 module), Following the instructions I get the bulb check but when I press the brake and 4X4 Auto switch nothing happens. This leads me to hope that something isn't right with the micro switch wiring - even though I followed everything exactly, including checking the factory wiring diagrams. What the switch does is complete the circuit to ground for the neutral tow signal to the 4X4 module which is supposed to put the transfer case in neutral.
My next point to check will be finding the circuit closer to module so I can verify continuity of the circuit to the shifter and try another ground point.
Does anyone know if any of this or transfer case troubleshooting is in the factory service manual? My worry is if there is something else wrong. There seems to be no one in Orlando that is trained in the older explorers - understandable considering the last model with it was 7 years ago.
If I can't get this to work I will have to buy another vehicle to tow behind the MH, and I've really gotten fond of this truck even with its mileage...

I managed to figure it out after removing the console completely. There were two 8 wire connectors by the shifter and the right one was hidden by the console structure - and it was missing the two wires in the appropriate spots. Cleaned up my moderate butchery and it all works good! Good thing I had the 2007 Sport Trac wiring diagrams - absolutely essential.

Good to hear u got it resolved on your own! Safe travels

Back