• Register Today It's free!

New 2021 engine knock sound

Heligrin

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 explorer st

Attached is a video. You can hear the knocking over the injectors.

I have a new 2021 with a 10/17/21 build date (about as late before they switch to 22s) and this knocking sound is coming from the engine until it warms up and drops rpm to 750ish. I thought it went away completely, but if I turn off everything I can hear a faint knock at idle. The. Knock increases with rpm prior to warm up. I'm not sure what it could be. Our previous 21 which was in an accident did not have this sound. The car drives great, but it concerns me. 1k miles now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would have that into service ASAP. It sounds like there is an issue that's not good.

Difficult in the MD area. Some dealers are 1 to 2 months out. :(
Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg, MD did my oil change, tire rotation and camera recall yesterday. I made the appointment a few days before. The work was completed in less than 2 hours. I don't go to any other dealers near me.

Sheehy Ford in Gaithersburg, MD did my oil change, tire rotation and camera recall yesterday. I made the appointment a few days before. The work was completed in less than 2 hours. I don't go to any other dealers near me.
I'll give them a call. I had collision work completed there

I have a new 2021 with a 10/17/21 build date (about as late before they switch to 22s) and this knocking sound is coming from the engine until it warms up and drops rpm to 750ish. I thought it went away completely, but if I turn off everything I can hear a faint knock at idle. The. Knock increases with rpm prior to warm up. I'm not sure what it could be. Our previous 21 which was in an accident did not have this sound. The car drives great, but it concerns me. 1k miles now
Is the oil level where it should be?

Peter

Get that vehicle into a dealer ASAP. Sounds exactly like my 2021 Platinum did before the engine died completely at 2300 miles (bent valve, scored cylinder). Same behavior. Took 2 months to get fixed/back.

Get that vehicle into a dealer ASAP. Sounds exactly like my 2021 Platinum did before the engine died completely at 2300 miles (bent valve, scored cylinder). Same behavior. Took 2 months to get fixed/back.
How did they diagnose it?

How did they diagnose it?
Very rough run/inability to idle -> verified not ignition/spark related -> leak-down test on cylinder 6 failed -> scoped the cylinder via plug opening and verified bent valve and scored cylinder.

Very rough run/inability to idle -> verified not ignition/spark related -> leak-down test on cylinder 6 failed -> scoped the cylinder via plug opening and verified bent valve and scored cylinder.
Ok. Thanks. The weird thing is the engine is smooth at idle and that knocking sound greatly reduces in loudness once the engine is warm. It's why I never heard it before purchase.

Ok. Thanks. The weird thing is the engine is smooth at idle and that knocking sound greatly reduces in loudness once the engine is warm. It's why I never heard it before purchase.
Mine was the same. Initially the knocking stopped after 5-10 min as engine warmed. As weather turned cold, it took longer and longer to go away and knocking was initially louder. I'd had an 2015 Edge Sport with the 2.7 liter V6 that made the same noise, and it turned out to be an issue with the fuel lines. Those were replaced, and it never happened again. Because of that, I failed to prioritize a visit to the dealer when I should have.

Back