2021 Explorer XLT Faint Chirping Sound | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer XLT Faint Chirping Sound

Reaction score
City, State
Rineyville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT
I bought my wife a 2021 Explorer XLT with the 2.3 and AWD off the lot new in 2020, so far have only had minor cosmetic issues with it. However, now we are hearing a strange chirping sound while cruising at over 25 mph. It has slowly gotten louder over the last few months but we cannot find out where it is coming from. I have taken the car to the dealership numerous times no one is able to locate where this sound is coming from. Here are my observations:

Starts making noise around 25 to 30 mph doesn't go away at higher speeds
doesn't get louder or faster as you accelerate
goes away if you decelerate by coasting or breaking
goes away if you increase speed suddenly
only occurs while maintaining speed
shifting to neutral while while driving doesn't make any changes
doesn't increase sound with engine revs or around turns

Just had my front hub actuator seal replaced because it was leaking fluid. I have been on the google hunt for weeks. Has anyone experienced this and found a fix, or know an area where i could check to try and find some kind of answer?

I will try to get a good video of the sound tomorrow. It is faint but loud enough to be annoying as heck. This is my first post, and I will be looking into lightly modding this car in the future after my Mustang is where I want it to be.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd start with the known issues of highway speed noise... the underbody covers that get loose because of the cheap plastic retainers and whistling from the roof rack or side mirror. Given that you say chirping, I'd look at your underbody covers. Whether they are all intact (which I doubt), replace them with m6 nuts and fender washers (stainless steel).

I'd start with the known issues of highway speed noise... the underbody covers that get loose because of the cheap plastic retainers and whistling from the roof rack or side mirror. Given that you say chirping, I'd look at your underbody covers. Whether they are all intact (which I doubt), replace them with m6 nuts and fender washers (stainless steel).
i removed all the plastic from the front of the car and the cover for the oil pan and the sound didnt go away. i still want to replace all of those plastic fasteners though and a couple of the screws broke for some reason too, so gotta replace those too. could you also provide me with a link to the hardware that is needed so i know im getting the right stuff.

i removed all the plastic from the front of the car and the cover for the oil pan and the sound didnt go away. i still want to replace all of those plastic fasteners though and a couple of the screws broke for some reason too, so gotta replace those too.

I'm talking about the undershield more rearward, in between the doors

Just checked all the undershielding and shaking different spots vigorously and no sound at all from there. Would it hurt anything to just rip it all out? I'm going to ride in the back while my wife drives and see if the noise is loader in the rear of the car. I'll get a recording too in a bit. Also, I dk what all is supposed to be there but all the clips seem to he there. Should the driveshaft have any play in it when parked?

What about the metal exhaust heatshields? Are they all intact? Also push on the exhaust when cold, maybe some of the rubber hangers are squeeking.

What about the metal exhaust heatshields? Are they all intact? Also push on the exhaust when cold, maybe some of the rubber hangers are squeeking.
Everything seems intact. I did try movie random parts like the exhaust because I thought of the exhaust hangers too but no sound from those. I need to get it on a lift. To get a better look.

My hearing must be bad. I can't hear a chirping noise, only road noise.
I did say faint lol but it is constant and driving us mad. Been there for months. Just loud enough in the cab to hear it even with music and ac on.

Hello! There is a similar problem. That chirping sound in the back of the car is really annoying. The search will start with the protective casing of the brake disc and brake pads. There is also an assumption that a block of some connector can tap on the body in this way.

I've tried checking all kinds of areas to find it but cannot locate a source and as time goes on, it gets louder.

Hello! There is a similar problem. That chirping sound in the back of the car is really annoying. The search will start with the protective casing of the brake disc and brake pads. There is also an assumption that a block of some connector can tap on the body in this way.
Can you elaborate on this one a little?

I've tried checking all kinds of areas to find it but cannot locate a source and as time goes on, it gets louder.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As it gets progressively louder it might be easier to locate.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As it gets progressively louder it might be easier to locate.

Peter
That's what I'm thinking but I need to get under it while the wheels are moving at about 30 mphto replicate the sound and try to find it from there. Such a pain lol. I have it narrowed down to the front of the car and most likely passenger side.

That's what I'm thinking but I need to get under it while the wheels are moving at about 30 mphto replicate the sound and try to find it from there. Such a pain lol. I have it narrowed down to the front of the car and most likely passenger side.
If the vehicle itself doesn't have to be moving you could try putting it up on a hoist. Any of your friends have one?

Peter

If the vehicle itself doesn't have to be moving you could try putting it up on a hoist. Any of your friends have one?

Peter
Not that I know of. I'm not sure if it needs to be moving or not. Just a logical step in my mind, curious to see if it is wind or mechanical. Could also rule out suspension noises.

Back