• Register Today It's free!

New 97 CV joint question

David Suesz

Reaction score
City, State
SE PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
OK, all the instructions and pics I have seen show the LH inner CV joint, with a stub shaft which inserts into the differential and clicks in place with a circlip on the end of the shaft. No pics or instructions refer to the RH inner CV, which has a splined socket, which slides onto a shaft. Does this shaft also use a circlip? is it the same one as the LH side?

they are not he same, they are how i described them in the other thread you started, not sure if there is a circlip on the inner shaft though, i never looked. What exactly is the problem with your shafts that you are replacing them? Its easier to buy new ones than to rebuild them, the price on them has come down alot in the past few years that i have been breaking and replacing them.

The CV's are fine,

the differential is shot. The junkyard guy I got the 32k mile replacement from said they hardly ever sell them. My brother-in-law, a Ford dealer, (too far away to help) says having these go bad is very unusual. Lucky me.

Well I did replace my CV on the left (Drivers) side once, but don't remember a circlip. I just pulled the bad one out and put the new one back in.

Back