• Register Today It's free!

New car stereo for my 99 exp.

wellcraft

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Hi guys, I woukd like to upgrade my head unit with something that has Bluetooth, video input CD/DVD player, mp3 and a nice screen , double din. Not looking to brake the bank. I would like a navigation but I guess that will increase the $ and I can use my DROID RAZR maxx for nav.
Is there something that can work together with my DROID smartphone?
what do you guys suggest and where is a good place to buy

Just in case, I have a stock radio with no amp nor any sub, just want to be able to hear my music and get calls.
Thanks in advanced.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for replying Vlad, that song looks nice but for some reason I'm more of a pioneer or Kenwood products, do you know something that works as well as that Sony?
I'm not ruling out the Sony, if there isn't something similar I can go with the Sony

When it says DROID friendly, what does that really means?

Another ? Is, if I want to watch Netflix with my DROID and hook it up the the new hu, how can I do that?

Last question, I understand that Crutchfield includes all the necessary hardware for the inrstallation, is this true?

Thanks again.

Few more question,
I see that basically all the radios are made to work with iPhones, is there any radio android compatible?

I also see that some of those radios are able to use the iPhone as navigation, is there any Hu able to do the same with an Android?

Currently there are 2 radios that are fully Android compatible. Meaning they will play Netflix, navigation from the phone, and full control of other apps. If you are interested in Pioneer, you should check out their new App Radio 2. It doesn't play DVD or CD but will play all the music on your phone. Here's what it says on our website:

"The Pioneer AppRadio is designed specifically for the Apple iPhone 4/4S (with included Apple cable) and select Android 2.3+ smartphones (with Android cable, sold separately). It also offers audio playback functions for other select iPod/iPhone models. Please view the AppRadio Compatible Device List for the latest compatible iPhone 4/4S and Android smartphone information to see if your iPhone 4/4S or Android smartphone is compatible with the Pioneer AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100)."

The other is the Sony XAV-601BT with MirrorLink. This is similar to the AppRadio but will have a DVD/CD player and is more compatible with MirrorLink that will display whatever that is on the phone. The rest of the radios are made for iPhone/iPods. The other radios that have Android access are limited to just BT phone and music playback.

Anything 119.99 and above will come with free installation gear for most vehicles. Some vehicles will need a special harness and/or bracket, we offer 50% off when you purchase the radio.

Thanks Vlad, I was looking today at the Sony with the mirror link and the Motorola RAZR is not in the list. Do you know if Sony is planning on doing any update for this phone, that sony basically works with Nokia. I followed the link from the description.

I believe the MirrorLink is only good for the newer Android phones that have a certain version of the operating system. Not sure if they will be updating cause there are so many different versions of the operating system.
As for the different models on the compare link you gave, The Kenwood radios will have basic BT controls. The Sony XAV-64BT will at least offer Pandora controls from the phone so you will see album art and be able to thumbs up/down right on the screen. I would recommend going with that as the best bang for the buck. Now if you are planning on upgrading your phone in the near future I would lean more towards the MirrorLink because it can integrate more with the phone.

I actually have the latest smartphone from Motorola,which is the RAZR maxx with 4.0.2 iOS or the so call ice cream sandwich. Do you have any way to check if this smartphone works with the Sony with mirror link?
Im liking also the app radio 2, is there also anyway you can verify if this smartphone works with this radio? I know it does but since now my operating system was upgraded to 4.0.2 I'm not sure if it'll work. I tried contacting pioneer directly but haven't heard from them.

I'm between the pioneer and the 2 Sony's, so if you're able to check this for me, I'll appreciate. I guess you have more connection with the companies than I do, which is non.

Thanks for all the help Vlad.

Dude, it's no problem that's what I'm here for. The Ice Cream Sandwich operating system will work with both the MirrorLink and AppRadio 2. They are still adding more compatible apps so there will be some updates in the near future for both radios.

Cool thank, I'm more into the pioneer, I saw some videos and you can basically see the exact same thing as you see in the smartphone. With the Sony is different I believe.
With the pioneer, the cable needed for the android, is 50% off too?

Went to best buy to see it and liked what I saw, they didn't have the DROID cable, wanted to try it but couldn't.
if I buy the radio from Crutchfield and if for some reason doesn't work as I expected or doesn't work with my phone for some reason, what's the return policy?

Thanks

Cool, I'll be placing an order in about 2 week's, should I place it with you?

Thanks.

Cool, I'll place the order soon.

Thanks bro.

Back