• Register Today It's free!

New Coil Spring Install

4X4wannabe

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 Explorer
I know this is an Explorer Forum but ive read that some of you 1gen guys have changed out your front coil springs... I bought reciently new coil springs for my F150 that will lift the front 2"... i was wondering whats the best way to install these myself... I was planning on a front end alignment after the install but the 4x4 shop down the street from me was gonna charge me a dumpload for the install and ide rather do it myself if i can... Any ideas on how to do this...

There is a great writeup in the haynes manuels, thats what I went off of.

All the Ford TTB front ends are basically the same.

Start by loosening the large nut in the center of the spring (Lube it well with PB Blaster first - they get rusty!). Reach down through the center of the spring from above with a long extension and a deep well socket (1 1/8" size) - and use an impact - they come right off then.

Pop off the bottom of the shock absorber

Fully droop the suspension - and the spring "should" pop right out (some wiggling, etc.)

If you can't droop the suspension enough - make sure that your brake line isn't the limit strap - and you can also use the Ford bumper jack to get a tad more droop by placing it between the frame and radius arm.

Mine have enough travel so that they fall out... (I also cage the tops so that they can't escape on the trail - I use a small muffler clamp - more elegant ways about, but my way costs under a buck a side...)

You may have to use a spring compressor to get the new ones in, but generally they will slide in with a bit or persuasion. If they don't you likely have more spring than your suspension will allow - and need lift brakets or cut and turned beams for that much lift.

Back