new door tag, need axle code location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new door tag, need axle code location

XGRUNT

Reaction score
City, State
EASTERN SIERRAS, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Hi Folks,
First off, since I've never posted anything to the site, I'd like to say hello to everyone. I may be newly registered but, I've been reading your (collectively) advice on everything from tire selection to lifts and engine fixes. This is truely a great site.
Now for the question. While I was out of the country, I let my Father in Law drive my truck. As luck would have it he managed to get the drivers door banged in. Now he got it fixed and you can't even tell now. The only problem is that the door tag doesn't match the truck.
I didn't even realize this untill I wanted to look up my axle code. According to the tag I have a 3.23 open but it sure doesn't "feel"like it. Just a few days ago I happened to look at the VIN on the tag and it didn't match either.
Finally My Question...Should there be a tag on the diff or somewhere else that would have the axle code on it? I'd like to put in a locker but I would want a better gear ratio first and of course I want to know what I'm working with...
Sorry This is so long but I'd appreciate any help you all could give me...

Thank You

Welcome Aboard!!

On the rear differential, there should be a metal tag on one of the cover bolts. It will list the gear ratio.

Makes me feel kinda silly for askin'...Thanks Robb

Back