New engine problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New engine problems

Hunter95R

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Ranger
i recently replaced the 4.0 in my 94 extended cab with a 4.0 from a 94 explorer. since than it has been giving me fits. i get koer codes for "cant control high rpm during running test" and "curb idle out of spec". Continuos running codes are 172, 173, 176, and 177.
During driving, when i take off, it pops through the intake, and gives a jerky feel when cruising.
i have replaced both o2 sensors, coil, plugs, wires, injectors, crank sensor, ignition module, engine wire harness, and the ECM.
i changed the timing chain and the upper plenum gasket and also resealed the lower intake with all new gaskets. i have sprayed entire cans of carb cleaner all over the engine looking for a vacuum leak. None. i pull 18 inches of manifold vacuum at idle with 3-4 inches of crankcase vacuum.
the engine i put in had EGR and a cam sensor. my truck does not. i replaced all the EGR stuff (upper intake and drivers exhaust manifold) with the stuff originally from my truck when i put it in. my truck came with a simple plug/driver where the Cam sensor goes.
What am I missing or not doing? i really like my Ranger and have owned it for over ten years. i replaced the engine because of a burned valve in #6 cylinder.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's it idling at? If your idle stop screw is cranked in too far for the IAC to compensate (i.e. above 750RPM) you will throw idle control codes.

Hate to say it but make sure your firing order is correct.

Check the timing with a timing light - you'd probably have to pull the SPOUT connector to verify base timing.

i havent messed with the idle screw. the upper intake is as it came off the old engine. i have reverified the firing order and it is correct. the idle isnt steady but usually around 700-800 rpm. i will check timing again and repost what i find. thanks for your help.

i havent messed with the idle screw. the upper intake is as it came off the old engine. i have reverified the firing order and it is correct. the idle isnt steady but usually around 700-800 rpm. i will check timing again and repost what i find. thanks for your help.

Sounds good... let us know what you find. Also is the MAF verified good? Those codes are indicating a lean condition.

When mine in my Explorer did similar things it was because the computer went. Maybe not your problem, but I got a lot of the same codes (they were erratic though, wouldn't always show up at once),

I was able to check the data stream with a Snap-On scanner and one bank of injectors n

I wAs able to check the data stream with a Snap-On scanner. One bank of injectors are only running for half as many milliseconds as the other side. Does anybody know what controls this? How can I correct this? I appreciate everyone's help on this.

Did you swap in the PCM from the donor vehicle? That could be your issue.

No. i bought the engine off Craigslist. I used all the sensors and injectors and pcm from my truck. I have since replaced all of it and its no better. Do you think that since the engine was egr equipped or had a cam sensor it would be a problem? My truck is non EGR so i removed all the egr stuff and my truck doesnt have any where for the cam sensor to plug into. It starts every time and goes wherever i want to go but this drivability prob is driving me nuts.

Back