New Explorer Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Question

I'm receiving a 2015 Limited 4x4 3.5L from the dealer without a towing package. Planning on towing boat (over 2,000lbs/under 5,000lbs). Can a dealer install the class III Towing Package? Believe it or not, I've called six dealerships now and can't get an answer. They keep asking me questions like, "I don't know, what all is in the class III towing package"?? Or they say, "the parts department says you can't put a class III on the explorer.....

Can anyone here tell me what all is in the class III tow package and whether it can be done at the dealership or must be done at the factory?

Ford Towing Guides 2002-2015

Here is a link to all Ford Towing Guides back to 2002.
I highly recommend you save the 2015 guide, and read it thoroughly.

From this, the answer to your question:
Page 13: Required equipment to tow over 2000 lbs: Class III Towing Package
Also says a Weight-Carrying hitch is recommended for all vehicles towing less than 5000 lbs. But for the 5th gen Explorer, I think that's ridiculous. Anything over Class 2 (3500 lbs), you should get a WDH, or your headlight swill be blinding everybody.

Page 14 has the towing package chart you are looking for. Seems to indicate that Trailer Sway Control is already standard. Must be some code written into the stability control system.
Towing package would add:
-7-wire harness and 4/7-Pin Connector
-Hitch receiver (see page 28)
-Engine oil cooler

This looks pretty good for you! Those are not difficult items. I say skip the dealer. They obviously don't know, and honestly, most 5th gen Explorer owners will never tow anything, much less something more than a small utility trailer. Most packages call for an aux trans cooler, but Ford must have provided a large cooler standard (you can have a shop check that for you).

Find an established hitch shop in the area. If you have "The Hitch House" close you you, great. They will be able to set you up.

If you are mechanically inclined, and have a free weekend or 2, you can order these items from etrailer.com and install yourself.

Back