New Explorer Radio/CD Changer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Explorer Radio/CD Changer

olddog4041

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Exployer Eddie Bauer
Hi:
I have a 2004 Explorer, Eddie Bauer model. The 6 disk CD changer went upside down. Not ejecting the CD's. I pulled the battery (only because the terminals were coroding, so I cleaned it and greased the connections while I was at it).
According to several web sites disconnecting the power would reset the CD changer just like a mini computer. Not so lucky.
The cost of an aftermarket replacement unit rivals that of a new updated player. So I am checking out various new units.
I feel competent to do the installation myself, but am a bit confused about the after market wiring harnesses required. Appreciate any advice you can round up.
Tx
Olddog

Hi:
I have a 2004 Explorer, Eddie Bauer model. The 6 disk CD changer went upside down. Not ejecting the CD's. I pulled the battery (only because the terminals were coroding, so I cleaned it and greased the connections while I was at it).
According to several web sites disconnecting the power would reset the CD changer just like a mini computer. Not so lucky.
The cost of an aftermarket replacement unit rivals that of a new updated player. So I am checking out various new units.
I feel competent to do the installation myself, but am a bit confused about the after market wiring harnesses required. Appreciate any advice you can round up.
Tx
Olddog

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Swapping out the OEM head unit for an aftermarket unit is relatively easy process. www.crutchfield.com usually includes the correct harness for free if you order from them. They are a vendor here. I can personally vouch for their exceptional customer support. Here is the Crutchfield thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357207

Here is a good thread for swapping out the head unit in the 3rd Gen Ex: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271666

Good luck & happy Exploring! :biggthump

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Back