How to: - New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tire Size was generally ABS and BCM. Its unknown if there is actually anything contained in the PCM.
thanks @sheltonfilms and @jmr061

i have successfully add drl, i have three options (low beam, front turn light and front fog ligth) and i selected front turn light, in your view which is better to be drl in terms of visibility, looks and possibly power charge/use. I've noticed that it will not engage the drl once you are in "P" at first i thought i did it wrong :) until i drove it and realize its working :D

after i changed the tire size from 18 to 20" from BCM and ABS, i went to DTS tab (i think) and an error/code P160A was appears on PCM. i'm not sure if this is related to tire and drl change.
i also encounter on some point the tire diameter and something related to tire (i think) but there status are both error and i try if i can change them and one have choices of 17,18 and 20" the other have only two choice listed as 2.0L 20" and 2.0L 18" tire something like this, sorry i should take picture.

s924.photobucket.com/user/rcalmajr/media/14424061_10205074370578635_7031746_o.jpg.ml
14424061_10205074370578635_7031746_o.jpg

appreciate your advise :thumbsup:

The PCM is not recognizing the values that were changed for the tire size. Either Forscan has an error or IDS does and Forscan simply just copied the error.

The PCM is not recognizing the values that were changed for the tire size. Either Forscan has an error or IDS does and Forscan simply just copied the error.
so should i leave it like that? i return all to 18" tire size and cycle the vehicle but still seeing the error code after connecting forscan again.
follow up question if i may, can i re-write my exiting key fob using forscan? reason behind it the previous owner only give me one key and i manage to program another key and on the display information says there is 4 master keys. i would like to delete those are not with me right now.

Did you clear the codes?

Did you clear the codes?
@jmr061 --- oh yes i should clear the code first!!! sorry my bad. i thought after putting it back to stock rim size it will erase itself. will do it again maybe later or tom.

hi @jmr061 and @sheltonfilms can you please advise what is the difference between PCM reset all adaptations and pcm module reset? thanks

hi @jmr061 and @sheltonfilms can you please advise what is the difference between PCM reset all adaptations and pcm module reset? thanks
Reset adaptations resets all learned values like fuel trim, idle, and shift characteristics that the computer learns after driving the car for a while. I would say the plain module reset would be the code clearing one.

Reset adaptations resets all learned values like fuel trim, idle, and shift characteristics that the computer learns after driving the car for a while. I would say the plain module reset would be the code clearing one.
@sheltonfilms i have successfully reset all adaptations but after starting the car CEL stay on and show up P1639 - powertrain.
after clearing the error code it didn't came back after few start, now it start the learning process. what is this code and should i be worry and look for any particular sensor?

@sheltonfilms i have successfully reset all adaptations but after starting the car CEL stay on and show up P1639 - powertrain.
after clearing the error code it didn't came back after few start, now it start the learning process. what is this code and should i be worry and look for any particular sensor?

I've looked up this code and it seems a lot of people have this code when replacing a battery or alternator on other Fords.

Did this occur after adaptations or was this there after the tire size change?

I'm not too familiar with this code but some people get it when they are using tuners and have to retune the car.

I would post all your information on the forscan forums.

I've looked up this code and it seems a lot of people have this code when replacing a battery or alternator on other Fords.

Did this occur after adaptations or was this there after the tire size change?

I'm not too familiar with this code but some people get it when they are using tuners and have to retune the car.

I would post all your information on the forscan forums.
CEL stay on after adaptations reset when i start the car so i cycle (off-start) the engine several times but the CEL still there so i scan it using forscan and the code P1639 appears. I then clear the code and the CEL went off immediately and its been three days now and no CEL.
I didn't notice any abnormality beside from the first second trip because of the transmission shifting learning and idle, but now seems all normal i think. should it be ok and not to worry or the error code stored somewhere and need more attention.

Ok must be a weird error that gets triggered when memory is erased (like when you disconnect the battery).

Speedometer reading correct?

Ok must be a weird error that gets triggered when memory is erased (like when you disconnect the battery).

Speedometer reading correct?
i will probably mention this error code to my next service so dealer will look in to it. will my warranty void if they found out that i use forscan?
i put back the stock 18" on the ABS and BCM when i got P160A error code. according to online computation i'm running 2.9% slower with my aftermarket wheels 265/50/20 against the speedometer.

For those of you trying to correct speedometer error, over on the Mustang6G Forum we were able to figure out how to enter non-factory tire sizes and how to fine-tune things.

On the 2016+ facelifted Explorers, the tire info is stored in the same place as the 2015+ Mustangs, BCM 726-12-01. On the 2011-2015 Explorers, the tire info seems to be stored in a different location but in the same format BCM 726-45-01.

For example, on a 2015 I pulled the as-built for, 726-45-01 contains 013C 090E xxxx. 090E corresponds to the factory 255/50R20 tires.

If anybody wants to give this a shot, let me know how it works out for you. There's a tire size to hex calculator as well as a truing calculation you can do using GPS to get your speedometer perfect - check out the link to the Mustang6G forum above for more info.

When I played with this awhile back on my 16 Explorer the PCM would throw an error code for anything other than what the vehicle came with. Is your PCM throwing any DTCs?

I've tested this on Mustangs and F150's only and no, it works great on those applications.

ETA: It's possible the baked-in FORScan tool that lets you select from a predefined list of tire options is simply writing the values to the wrong location as well. As I mentioned, there's a model year split with where it's stored. This model year split isn't the same on the F150 and Mustang, they moved to the new location in 2015 whereas the Explorer seems to do so in 2016.

You may want to re-recheck on the DTC. I just did it to my 16 Edge and it comes up with the same PCM error code the 16 Explorer did - PCM-->P160A Control Module Vehicle Options Reconfiguration Error - It doesn't set the dummy light in the dash but the DTC is present.

Did you use the baked-in FORScan tire sizes, or did you manually change the hex in 726-12-01?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Manual edit...

Back