How to: - New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: New Forscan Update Allows Module Programming

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
City, State
Hoover, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited 3.5L
Mod: Don't know if you want to leave this in basic forum or move to MOD section. Kinda gray area since its essentially changing OEM settings.

Don't usually do disclaimers but I feel this one needs it.

DISCLAIMER: The content listed is for modifying existing code in your control units. You do so at your own risk. This is especially true for editing raw code, since you don't know the outcome.

Some of you guys use Forscan and for those who don't know it is a piece of software that essentially is the reverse engineering of IDS. IDS being the software the dealer uses to scan, troubleshoot, and program Fords. Forscan can be used on an iPhone, Android, or PC using a OBDII adapter.

For the most part Forscan has been able to read and "control" all control units on our vehicles. Few months ago PATS programming was added to program keys (sorry this gen Explorer is not on the compatible list....yet). By control I mean simulate inputs/outputs like turn on left headlight, turn on dash indicators, set fan speed, etc all of which are used to help diagnose issues.

Well as of Feb 20th with the update of 2.3.0 beta (for PC), Forscan can now code/program control units.

Coding is when an OEM has several variations of vehicles but wants to use the same hardware to control them, mostly due to a big cost savings. When the OEM builds a car they "code" these control units according to what the vehicle has listed in its BOM (bill of materials). So say Ford builds a Police Interceptor they add the coding to enable the "dark car" feature. This coding is really just changing variables in the code to turn on or off features. It's not really a software change because the software is the same on all cars buts its just changing variables. Think of tire size. OEMs sometimes use a bunch of different tire sizes and that changes the speedometer output. So they let the control unit know what size the tires are to make the speedometer correct.

Forscan shows this new feature as a button on the left that looks like a microchip and it is called "programming and configuration." When you click on that it lists all the modules that currently can be programmed and lists them as just the module or the module name and (AS BUILT FORMAT). The AS BUILT FORMAT is just lists addresses and the variables that are there that can be written. To me this means they (Forscan team) don't know what this area of memory does yet. The item that just says the module name DOES show the "dumb" names of the variables. Stuff that you and I can easily know what is being changed.

Below is a screenshot of what you can do to the BODY CONTROL UNIT. You can enable dark car, drls, change tire pressure (changes TPMS threshold), change tire size, etc.

Right now nothing here needs to be changed for my needs, just looking around. Can't wait till more modules are figured out.

I think this tool could be used for retrofitting something possibly like the power liftgate feature. You can buy and install all the parts but you still have to program the BCM for this feature. Either it is a simple enable button change or you scan your buddies car that has this feature and copy all the coding and reprogram your module to match.

forscan.png

Some helpful links:

How to get extended license:
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=836

How to use configuration and programming:
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1932

How to view MS-CAN modules on ELM327 device.
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4

2011-2017 Explorer Known As Built Data Changes:
https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0AtiYU-yJ4Nrfyfuzp-Mi0l8A#FORScan_2011-2018_Explorers

2011-2015 Specific Known As Built Data Changes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JHLK2oCBe-E5om9VNeY6e3NwboO9Em0dDBZIgUVyGxc/edit#gid=0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I might need to check into this...I've been using torque for quite some time now.

So eventually this would be able to unlock features in the APIM?......perhaps Navigation down the the road?

Awesome information.

You might want to enable global open and close. On the Focus that allows any window with auto up/down to be controlled by the key FOB. Hold down the unlock button for extended period of time and the windows will go down, hold lock for extended period windows go up. Very nice when its hot out or when you leave the windows down and it starts raining(not that I've ever done this). DISCLAIMER: don't try this while you're driving.

Are ODBII adapters universal on Ford products? I have this one for my Focus.

http://www.amazon.com/Readers-Diagn...e=UTF8&qid=1458218160&sr=1-10&keywords=elm327

I use an ELM327 based adapter like the one shown, only difference is my adapter is bluetooth.

BTW out of the box the adapter is only wired to read HS (High Speed) CAN network, you need to add a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch to be able to switch to MS (medium speed) CAN. You won't be able to see the non-essential modules without this mod (like HVAC).

See link:

So eventually this would be able to unlock features in the APIM?......perhaps Navigation down the the road?

Can't confirm that. I don't remember if the APIM code has been translated but it could be useful to have you scan yours (if you don't have navi as of right now) and show the values and I can compare to mine (has navi) to see what the difference is.

Maybe start a database of different models with different features to narrow down what each variable means.

Bob (rwenzing) who was big on Rangers, added a keypad to his ranger by copying a Sport-Trac CSM (central security module) coding to a Ranger coding to enable keypad. He then just added the hardwired keypad and it worked.

I use an ELM327 based adapter like the one shown, only difference is my adapter is bluetooth.

BTW out of the box the adapter is only wired to read HS (High Speed) CAN network, you need to add a DPDT (double pole, double throw) switch to be able to switch to MS (medium speed) CAN. You won't be able to see the non-essential modules without this mod (like HVAC).

See link:

Thanks. On the Focus Forum(focusfanatics.com) there is an extensive thread on this subject. They built a program similar to what this version of Forscan allows. search for FOCCCUS(3 c's) if you're interested.

Yeah, I've also seen ELMConfig. Sounds about the same.

Mine has Navigation so I cant check that, but this is very interesting software.

What I would like to know is how many modules are there inside the vehicle but just not turned on because the build didn't call for that feature?

It would be nice for people who wanted to add things like Powerfold 3rd row or heated wheel, or Navigation to be able to have the ability to not only buy the parts but add the software.

You might want to enable global open and close. On the Focus that allows any window with auto up/down to be controlled by the key FOB. Hold down the unlock button for extended period of time and the windows will go down, hold lock for extended period windows go up. Very nice when its hot out or when you leave the windows down and it starts raining(not that I've ever done this). DISCLAIMER: don't try this while you're driving.
This was discussed previously in another thread and to date no one has reported that they have been able to program it in the Explorer.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426100&highlight=global+open

Peter

Well I don't think the global open/close will work on the Explorer. The system is pretty well self contained. BCM only controls power to the system. Front motors are smart motors (have processors in them) and they do the auto down up sensing from the switches. Rear motors are dumb.

No CAN wires to anything in the system.

I want to look at diagrams from a US based car that this works on. Prefer a body style that started pre2012. Anyone know year and model?

The thing is see is there is a "test" wire that is not connected to anything. Wonder if that has something to do with it.

Dark car works though.

Ok got some screen shots and info for ya:

This for my 2013 Explorer Limited 3.5L w/ 302a package with sunroof, tow package, and 20 inch polished wheels.

Interface:
Port: COM18, 38400 kbps
Type: Bluetooth
Adapter: ELM327 v1.5
Min.delay: 19 ms ( Good)
Errors:
- CAN ERROR: 3 ( 0.6% )

Vehicle:
Model: Ford Explorer
Engine: TiVCT
Capacity: 3.5L
Year: 2013
Generation: 2013 MY
Fuel: Gasoline
Transmission gear: Automatic
VIN: 1FM5K7F87DGC14238

PCM - Powertrain Control Module
Part number: DB5A-12A650-UB
Strategy : DB5A-14C204-BJ
Total Distance: 24342.9 miles

OBDII - On Board Diagnostic II

APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: DA5T-14D212-KA
Strategy : DM5T-14D205-AF

HUD - Head Up Display
Part number: BB5T-19G468-AB
Strategy : BB5T-14F230-AB

FCIM - Front Controls Interface Module
Part number: DB5T-18A802-HE
Strategy : DB5T-14D017-EE
Calibration: DB5T-14D018-HD

FLM - Front Lighting Control Module
Part number: CB5T-14C009-AA
Strategy : CT4T-14D411-AA

DSP - (Audio) Digital Signal Processing Module
Part number: CT4T-18B849-AC
Strategy : CT4T-14C589-AC

OCS - Occupant Classification System Module
Part number: DB53-603B16-AA
Strategy : DB53-14F595-AA
Calibration: DB53-14F596-AA

C-CM - Cruise-Control Module
Part number: BA1T-9G768-AM
Strategy : BA1T-14D049-AH

ABS - Anti-Lock Brake / Traction Control Module
Part number: DB53-2C219-ED
Strategy : DB53-2D053-DD

RCM - Restraint Control Module
Part number: DB5T-14B321-AG
Strategy : DG13-14C028-AF
Calibration: DB5T-14C098-AG

PAM - Parking Aid Module
Part number: DA5T-15K866-CA
Strategy : DA5T-14C090-BA

PSCM - Power Steering Control Module
Part number: DB53-3F964-DJ
Strategy : DA53-14D003-AF
Calibration: DB53-14D004-BC

ACM - Audio Control Module
Part number: DB5T-19C107-GC
Strategy : DB5T-14D099-GC
Calibration: DB5T-14D100-LA

BdyCM - Body Control Module
Part number: DC3T-14B476-DA
Strategy : DC3T-14C184-BA

SCCM - Steering Column Control Module
Part number: DB5T-3F944-BD
Strategy : DB5T-14C579-BB

IPC - Instrument Panel Control Module
Part number: DB5T-10849-TB
Strategy : DT4T-14C026-EA
Calibration: DT4T-14C088-EA
Odometer: 24342.9 miles

IPMA - Image Processing Module A
Part number: DU5A-17E678-GL
Strategy : DA5T-14G019-BF

SODR - Side Obstacle Detection Control Module - Right
Part number: DG1T-14C689-EA
Strategy : DG1T-14D368-BA

SODL - Side Obstacle Detection Control Module - Left
Part number: DG1T-14C689-EA
Strategy : DG1T-14D368-BA

RTM - Radio Transceiver Module
Part number: BB5T-15K602-GB
Strategy : BB5T-14C283-AD

HVAC - Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning
Part number: DB5T-18C612-CG
Strategy : DB5T-18D619-AG
Calibration: DB5T-18D620-CG

RFA - Remote Function Actuator
Part number: BB5T-19G481-DD
Strategy : BT4T-14C104-BD
Calibration: BB5T-14C105-DA

HSWM - Heated Steering Wheel Module
Part number: BU5T-14B561-AE
Strategy : BU5T-14F376-AC

GPSM - Global Positioning System Module
Part number: DE8T-19H463-AC
Strategy : DE8T-14F055-AC

DCSM - Driver/Dual Climate-Control Seat Module
Part number: BU5T-14B663-AB
Strategy : BU5T-14C144-AB
Software version: v11 2009-12-07

LTM - Liftgate / Trunk Module
Part number: BB5T-14B673-AN
Strategy : BB5T-14C121-AH
Calibration: BB5T-14C122-AJ
Software version: v7 2011-12-12

DSM - Driver's Seat Module
Part number: BB5T-14C708-AF
Strategy : BC3T-14C030-AK
Software version: 2010-12-14

Here is the directory of modules showing which CAN lines they are on:
allmodules.png

Here is a screenshot of the configuration window:
allmodule%20programming.png

ABS (ABF)
ABS%20ABF.png

ABS
ABS%20Normal.png

ACM (ABF)
ACM%20ABF.png

ACM
ACM%20NORMAL.png

APIM (ABF)
APIM%20ABF.png

BCM (ABF)
BCM%20ABF%201.png

BCM%20ABF%202.png

BCM%20ABF%203.png

BCM%20ABF%204.png

BCM
BCM%20NORMAL.png

CCM (ABF)
CCM%20ABF.png

DCSM (ABF)
CCM%20ABF.png

DSM (ABF)
DCSM%20ABF.png

DSP (ABF)
DSP%20ABF.png

GPSM (ABF)
GPSM%20ABF.png

HSWM (ABF)
GPSM%20ABF.png

HVAC (ABF)
HSWM%20ABF.png

IPC (ABF)
IPC%20ABF.png

IPC
IPC%20NORMAL.png

IPMA (ABF)
IPC%20NORMAL.png

PSCM (ABF)
PSCM%20ABF.png

PSCM
PSCM%20NORMAL.png

RCM (ABF)
RCM%20ABF.png

RCM
RCM%20NORMAL.png

RFA (ABF)
RFA%20ABF.png

RFA
RFA%20NORMAL.png

SCCM (ABF)
SCCM%20ABF.png

SODL (ABF)
SODL%20ABF.png

SODL
SODL%20NORMAL.png

SODR (ABF)
SODR%20ABF.png

SODR
SODR%20NORMAL.png

Are there any modules present in that list for options you currently don't have?......that would be interesting if you found them just DISABLED.

Are there any modules present in that list for options you currently don't have?......that would be interesting if you found them just DISABLED.

Nope. All in use. 302a limited pretty much is everything: lane assist, blind spot monitoring, active park assist, adaptive cruise control, navi, power liftgate, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I don't think the global open/close will work on the Explorer. The system is pretty well self contained. BCM only controls power to the system. Front motors are smart motors (have processors in them) and they do the auto down up sensing from the switches. Rear motors are dumb.

No CAN wires to anything in the system.

I want to look at diagrams from a US based car that this works on. Prefer a body style that started pre2012. Anyone know year and model?

The thing is see is there is a "test" wire that is not connected to anything. Wonder if that has something to do with it.

Dark car works though.

It works on my 2012 Focus, that's a 1st year MK3 unfortunately. All windows are auto up/down. I'm gonna try it on my 2016 Focus this weekend, the FOCCCUS program doesn't work on 2015+.

Back